Day for night, an easy transformation right? Not always. Just darkening the shot and adding some blue doesn’t always sell it. Especially when you see crushed highlights and sharp shadows.
Some good tips for shooting day for night include:
- Limit direct shadows from the sun
- Limit specular hot spots
- Use a backlight to generate “moon light” in post
- Sometimes underexposing can help
- Shoot at dusk
- Don’t shoot the sun (duh!)
- Don’t shoot at night or this post won’t help
Here is an example. Obviously there are many possibilities, like a tutorial that may come up. I need to shoot some footage so if I can get out this week great if not next week. Until then, we’ll leave the light on.
By adding masks around ‘bright’ spots you can create simulated illumination.