Love: The official teaser trailer

Post unfinished videos and tests

Love: The official teaser trailer

Postby jtmrfilms on 08/7/2008, 6:53 am

Hey everyone
I'm currently making my first Horror/Thriller feature film entitled "LOVE". Its my first full length feature and its due to go online sometime in october. Heres the official trailer

http://www.vimeo.com/1484393

P.S. constructive comments would be appreciated. I am willing to answer any questions you might have about it (except storywise, for that you'll have to wait and see :D ) (compression rate is a bit bad i know, but theres nothing i could do about that).

Please read before watching

I've had some great comments about th amateur look of my trailer. For that i thank people. The film has been purposely given that amateur look, it wasnt done by mistake, or because we dont know what we are doing. Its because we want to give it a home movie, "your watching something you shouldnt be" youtube type feel. The great thing about film (especially when your making a feature film on nothing) is that it doesnt need to look sleek and professional, thats not the point of film. Its about story and characters and script. The style of our film was choosen because we dont want to pretend we're something we're not. I'm sure you see it all the time, peoples whose films look terrible because they've tried to make a £2 film look like it was made with £200 million lol. They put over the top and poorly executed effects and try to emulate hollywood type shots and ed up with a cheap piece of rubbish that no one wants to watch rather then being satisfied with what they have...a camera and a creative brain.
Last edited by jtmrfilms on 08/7/2008, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey check out my new short film LOVE: A horror story at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoXLV3sf4rI
jtmrfilms

Re: Love: The official teaser trailer

Postby faizer on 08/7/2008, 7:10 am

You should try using a tripod, some shots didnt go too well with someone holding the camera. Otherwise it looks quite good! :D
faizer

Postby jtmrfilms on 08/7/2008, 7:14 am

faizer wrote:You should try using a tripod, some shots didnt go too well with someone holding the camera. Otherwise it looks quite good! :D

thanks for the great comment. The whole movie is handy cam for a reason, to make it look like these events that you shouldnt see were capured by an amatuer. we played around alot with it to get it looking just amatuer enough but still allow an audience to see exactly whats happening and keep the cinematography strong. It was difficult to do. glad you noticed.
Last edited by jtmrfilms on 08/7/2008, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey check out my new short film LOVE: A horror story at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoXLV3sf4rI
jtmrfilms

Postby Marcus McKenzie on 08/7/2008, 8:10 am

The framing of most of the shots look really similar and boring, for a trailer anyway. Also the lighting made it look like a home-video. Try some colour correction and filters just so it doesn't look so bland. Other than that, good work on actually getting out there and making a film.
Marcus McKenzie

Postby jtmrfilms on 08/7/2008, 8:26 am

Marcus McKenzie wrote:The framing of most of the shots look really similar and boring, for a trailer anyway. Also the lighting made it look like a home-video. Try some colour correction and filters just so it doesn't look so bland. Other than that, good work on actually getting out there and making a film.

Wow thanks for that. Im glad you thought it looked home made because thats the point of the film and so means we've done our jobs. Shots wise...the films not done shooting yet
jtmrfilms

Postby ximan on 08/12/2008, 7:33 pm

(I haven't read any posts so I'm sorry if I say something that has already been said)

The video looks like an amateur trying to make an expensive movie. I'm not sure what look you're going for but if you want to make it look professional: try adding more CC, buy a tripod, use some more lighting, and vary your shots. If you want to make it look amateur: get rid of the widescreen, get rid of the CC you already did, and don't light it.
ximan

Postby jpeytonspencer on 08/13/2008, 6:30 pm

Here's my 2 cents.
First off, I didn't think it was as bad as I thought it would be, and I have pretty high standards!
Second, I did read your comments prior to watching and responding. So keep that in mind.

I dig the home video feel, it makes you feel like an intruder which keeps you off guard.

I am an indie film maker as well and I shot a 20 minute horror film last August. The one trap I fell into was I lit every scene! It was too bright for a horror movie. Darkness makes people feel a little more on edge and if they can see every corner then it steals some of the "horror" out of it.
So my advice, since its a "youTube" like movie, make some of those scenes darker. watch this for an idea of what i mean. now I know you won't be able to get these intense shadows but it's the principle behind it!

Good job, keep me informed on what happens!
jpeytonspencer

Postby jtmrfilms on 08/13/2008, 11:49 pm

ximan wrote:(I haven't read any posts so I'm sorry if I say something that has already been said)

The video looks like an amateur trying to make an expensive movie. I'm not sure what look you're going for but if you want to make it look professional: try adding more CC, buy a tripod, use some more lighting, and vary your shots. If you want to make it look amateur: get rid of the widescreen, get rid of the CC you already did, and don't light it.

Thanks for you advice though you too are missing much of the point. We are using this as a stepping stone to get money for a bigger feature and so the CC and widescreen will help show we are knowledgable about such areas (as advised by industry professionals) so thanks for the advice and I'm sure if it was relivant i would be inclined to accept it. I also think it looks great with the current CC (and being the director thats a decision i take great pleasure in making) . I've also not had one comment on the story, characters or feel. though again this was expected. thanks for you comments.
jtmrfilms

Return to Work in Progress