iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 06/10/2017, 8:39 am

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/specs/

Ok, def gonna be some haters and naysayers here. 'ohh man its over priced and aint that good' etc etc but tbh this is an AMAZING system whether you like it or not. (talking about the maxed out version with all the bells and whistles)

I am thinking of getting one for my office as I do a lot of editing, AE and work with blender etc
I got an HP Omen X at home which is awesome but the iMac Pro for work is very tempting indeed........
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby Farmfield on 06/10/2017, 10:39 am

I was on Mac from 1989 - yes, I'm that fukn old :D - but dropped them completely in 2009 because already then it was obvious that Apple was refocusing on Iphone, etc, and that they really didn't give a sh!t about pro users... I'd say this still stands.

And why would you want to depend on a hardware supplier where you just don't know when the next release of hardware or software is going to be, a supplier that refuses to keep their users in the loop? How is any OS or design worth that? I seriously don't get that. I also don't get this crap locking people into functionality, hindering any form of customization, etc, isn't that all people like us are about? Tinkering?

So yeah, I don't get it. Not with any Mac, no matter what spec, because it's not what it's about, it's about controlling my hardware and software choices, I'm not giving that up to some company, F that sh!t. :roll:
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield
 
Posts: 2285
Joined: 06/8/2014, 1:44 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 06/10/2017, 10:56 am

Farmfield wrote:I was on Mac from 1989 - yes, I'm that fukn old :D - but dropped them completely in 2009 because already then it was obvious that Apple was refocusing on Iphone, etc, and that they really didn't give a sh!t about pro users... I'd say this still stands.

And why would you want to depend on a hardware supplier where you just don't know when the next release of hardware or software is going to be, a supplier that refuses to keep their users in the loop? How is any OS or design worth that? I seriously don't get that. I also don't get this crap locking people into functionality, hindering any form of customization, etc, isn't that all people like us are about? Tinkering?

So yeah, I don't get it. Not with any Mac, no matter what spec, because it's not what it's about, it's about controlling my hardware and software choices, I'm not giving that up to some company, F that sh!t. :roll:



ok I hear you, but you cannot say the imac pro doesn't look and sound amazing!! I got a PC (for home) last December for the 1st time since 2004, the HP Omen X and its a beast, fully upgradeable and I love it to bits but I think the imac pro specs sound incredible and the system itself is beautiful.
I need something for work, to keep in my office but as well as being powerful its needs to be somewhat portable and the imac pro fits that bill.
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby Farmfield on 06/10/2017, 11:37 am

Just to make clear, writing "you" as in "why should you", etc, is of course meant as "oneself", not you, the OP. ;)

But yeah, Apple as a company is a bad supplier for pro hard- and software because they are undependable, unreliable - that's really not as much an opinion as an observation. :P

AMD graphics is also a complete nono for pro graphics, there is no greater source for issues in pro apps than AMD graphics - and this is again not an opinion but an observation. It's also been true for more than a decade, it was true when they were ATI... :?

And I'm not saying people shouldn't get a Mac if they want them, I even recommend them for people who are into Photo retouch, etc, but I wouldn't recommend one for pro video, comping, 3D, and those are my reasons.
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield
 
Posts: 2285
Joined: 06/8/2014, 1:44 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby jcscuret on 06/10/2017, 12:08 pm

Farmfield wrote:Just to make clear, writing "you" as in "why should you", etc, is of course meant as "oneself", not you, the OP. ;)

But yeah, Apple as a company is a bad supplier for pro hard- and software because they are undependable, unreliable - that's really not as much an opinion as an observation. :P

AMD graphics is also a complete nono for pro graphics, there is no greater source for issues in pro apps than AMD graphics - and this is again not an opinion but an observation. It's also been true for more than a decade, it was true when they were ATI... :?

And I'm not saying people shouldn't get a Mac if they want them, I even recommend them for people who are into Photo retouch, etc, but I wouldn't recommend one for pro video, comping, 3D, and those are my reasons.



Which desktop and laptop would you recommend for pro video and 3D editing? :D
ps: I agree with what you've said, I'm just not sure on what to choose :D
jcscuret
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 12/17/2015, 9:36 am
System Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz
8.00GB RAM
Windows 10

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 06/10/2017, 2:10 pm

Farmfield wrote:Just to make clear, writing "you" as in "why should you", etc, is of course meant as "oneself", not you, the OP. ;)

But yeah, Apple as a company is a bad supplier for pro hard- and software because they are undependable, unreliable - that's really not as much an opinion as an observation. :P

AMD graphics is also a complete nono for pro graphics, there is no greater source for issues in pro apps than AMD graphics - and this is again not an opinion but an observation. It's also been true for more than a decade, it was true when they were ATI... :?

And I'm not saying people shouldn't get a Mac if they want them, I even recommend them for people who are into Photo retouch, etc, but I wouldn't recommend one for pro video, comping, 3D, and those are my reasons.



yeah I know the problems with AMD cards hence me getting a windows system with dual NVidia GTX 1080's :)
BUT this imac pro is shipping with a brand new AMD card, the Radeon Vega, so maybe that will change things......

thanks for the replies :)
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby Dorin on 07/12/2017, 12:32 pm

I'm curious how Apple will cool down a 300W graphics card and 140W CPU. Current iMacs with Skylake CPUs are at the thermal throttling limit with the 95W TDP i7 7700k and the 150W TDP Radeon Pro 580. Also what is the point of a Xeon in iMac?
I'm Sorry for my English...
Dorin
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 03/29/2009, 9:34 am

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 07/13/2017, 12:32 pm

Dorin wrote:I'm curious how Apple will cool down a 300W graphics card and 140W CPU. Current iMacs with Skylake CPUs are at the thermal throttling limit with the 95W TDP i7 7700k and the 150W TDP Radeon Pro 580. Also what is the point of a Xeon in iMac?


Well they always seem to pull it off, so this looks amazing but I don't know if I should wait for the Mac Pro as that will be upgradable I think.......
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby NeoTribalist on 12/27/2017, 6:35 pm

I am considering building a high-end system but then priced out the parts in the new iMac Pro and I'm getting very comparable numbers. I like the idea of being able to later upgrade (with my own build) but I also have friends who have lost money (in their business) when their machines go down.

I can't see any hobbyist purchasing one of these iMac Pros. If I did get one, I'd upgrade to 64GB memory and the 16GB graphics card. But I'll probably build something comparable.
NeoTribalist
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 06/9/2016, 11:24 am
System Specs: iMac 27-inch Mid 2011
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/6/2018, 5:05 pm

NeoTribalist wrote:I am considering building a high-end system but then priced out the parts in the new iMac Pro and I'm getting very comparable numbers. I like the idea of being able to later upgrade (with my own build) but I also have friends who have lost money (in their business) when their machines go down.

I can't see any hobbyist purchasing one of these iMac Pros. If I did get one, I'd upgrade to 64GB memory and the 16GB graphics card. But I'll probably build something comparable.


I priced up similar spec PC and was around £3000 cheaper than the iMac Pro. I was gonna get the iMac as well and ok if around 500/1000 more expensive (even that's a big difference) i prob would have still got it but 3000 more????
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby Farmfield on 01/6/2018, 5:15 pm

iMac Pro, maxed out, is $17.000 in Sweden. Insane, it's not even suitable for pro work seeing it's an AMD GPU in it...
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield
 
Posts: 2285
Joined: 06/8/2014, 1:44 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby NeoTribalist on 01/7/2018, 3:08 am

badmonk wrote:
NeoTribalist wrote:I am considering building a high-end system but then priced out the parts in the new iMac Pro and I'm getting very comparable numbers. I like the idea of being able to later upgrade (with my own build) but I also have friends who have lost money (in their business) when their machines go down.

I can't see any hobbyist purchasing one of these iMac Pros. If I did get one, I'd upgrade to 64GB memory and the 16GB graphics card. But I'll probably build something comparable.


I priced up similar spec PC and was around £3000 cheaper than the iMac Pro. I was gonna get the iMac as well and ok if around 500/1000 more expensive (even that's a big difference) i prob would have still got it but 3000 more????


Actually, if you go spec by spec it's very close. Now way 3000 cheaper. Post your data please.
NeoTribalist
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 06/9/2016, 11:24 am
System Specs: iMac 27-inch Mid 2011
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/7/2018, 4:26 pm

NeoTribalist wrote:
badmonk wrote:
NeoTribalist wrote:I am considering building a high-end system but then priced out the parts in the new iMac Pro and I'm getting very comparable numbers. I like the idea of being able to later upgrade (with my own build) but I also have friends who have lost money (in their business) when their machines go down.

I can't see any hobbyist purchasing one of these iMac Pros. If I did get one, I'd upgrade to 64GB memory and the 16GB graphics card. But I'll probably build something comparable.


I priced up similar spec PC and was around £3000 cheaper than the iMac Pro. I was gonna get the iMac as well and ok if around 500/1000 more expensive (even that's a big difference) i prob would have still got it but 3000 more????


Actually, if you go spec by spec it's very close. Now way 3000 cheaper. Post your data please.


maybe as forgot about the 5k monitor but its not close if you go spec by spec. hey dont get me wrong, i was more excited than anyone about the imac pro, really wanted one but the price and lack of upgradabilty make it a no go for me, lets see what their next offering is.....
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby NeoTribalist on 01/7/2018, 7:38 pm

Here's the data I came up with. A mere $313 difference is not bad, especially considering the all-in-one package that some people prefer. If someone goes with the iMac Pro, they can still upgrade RAM but will have to with a certified shop.

I have considered a build vs. the iMac Pro. There are a lot of tests being conducted on YouTube by the mac fans who got their hands on one early.

Total: $4686.71

CPU: Intel - Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.1GHz 8-Core Processor ($408.99)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler ($158.99)
Motherboard: Asus - X99-E-10G WS SSI CEB LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($649.00)
Memory: Crucial - 32GB (1 x 32GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($253.81)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($479.99)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition ($678.99)
Case: Silverstone - TJ04B-EW ATX Mid Tower Case ($151.90)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 1000W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($242.89)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 7 Professional ($134.99)
Monitor: LG - UltraFine 5K Display 60Hz Monitor ($1299.95)
Other: ASUS Model ThunderboltEX 3 Expansion Card ($69.99)
Keyboard: Apple - MB110LL/B Wired Standard Keyboard ($49.00)
Mouse: Apple - MB829LL/A Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse ($79.99)
Speakers: Logitech - Z130 5W 2ch Speakers ($18.99)
Card reader: Kingston - Digital MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 card reader ($9.24)

Link:
http://www.pcgamer.com/apples-new-imac- ... verpriced/
NeoTribalist
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 06/9/2016, 11:24 am
System Specs: iMac 27-inch Mid 2011
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/8/2018, 12:27 pm

NeoTribalist wrote:Here's the data I came up with. A mere $313 difference is not bad, especially considering the all-in-one package that some people prefer. If someone goes with the iMac Pro, they can still upgrade RAM but will have to with a certified shop.

I have considered a build vs. the iMac Pro. There are a lot of tests being conducted on YouTube by the mac fans who got their hands on one early.

Total: $4686.71

CPU: Intel - Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.1GHz 8-Core Processor ($408.99)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler ($158.99)
Motherboard: Asus - X99-E-10G WS SSI CEB LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($649.00)
Memory: Crucial - 32GB (1 x 32GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($253.81)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($479.99)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition ($678.99)
Case: Silverstone - TJ04B-EW ATX Mid Tower Case ($151.90)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 1000W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($242.89)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 7 Professional ($134.99)
Monitor: LG - UltraFine 5K Display 60Hz Monitor ($1299.95)
Other: ASUS Model ThunderboltEX 3 Expansion Card ($69.99)
Keyboard: Apple - MB110LL/B Wired Standard Keyboard ($49.00)
Mouse: Apple - MB829LL/A Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse ($79.99)
Speakers: Logitech - Z130 5W 2ch Speakers ($18.99)
Card reader: Kingston - Digital MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 card reader ($9.24)

Link:
http://www.pcgamer.com/apples-new-imac- ... verpriced/


Nice. Ok seems pretty reasonable with a comparison like this. Looking at other reviews though and from people who love macs (like me) they say you can build a system just as powerful for much less,
You are correct in saying that part for part it’s the same price, but doing some research and looking into some testing I saw online, seems a PC which is just as powerful (albeit not the same components) can be built for a lot less.
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/8/2018, 12:36 pm

I am tempted to buy a iMac pro for work but lack of upgradabilty puts me off. I think it looks incredible though and seems super powerful.
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby NeoTribalist on 01/8/2018, 3:55 pm

badmonk wrote:I am tempted to buy a iMac pro for work but lack of upgradabilty puts me off. I think it looks incredible though and seems super powerful.


Very tempting indeed. I put in an order for the iMac Pro. I then canceled it, then had all of the parts in my Amazon shopping cart for a kick-ass machine build... only to cancel that and go ahead with the iMac Pro. It's a business purchase and they can hold about 70% of their value over 3 years. I went with 64 GB of memory and the GPU update. I also love the 14-day return policy and NO INTEREST for 2 years. Since my business is still growing, the no interest pushed me off the fence. It comes on Friday.
NeoTribalist
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 06/9/2016, 11:24 am
System Specs: iMac 27-inch Mid 2011
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/8/2018, 4:18 pm

NeoTribalist wrote:
badmonk wrote:I am tempted to buy a iMac pro for work but lack of upgradabilty puts me off. I think it looks incredible though and seems super powerful.


Very tempting indeed. I put in an order for the iMac Pro. I then canceled it, then had all of the parts in my Amazon shopping cart for a kick-ass machine build... only to cancel that and go ahead with the iMac Pro. It's a business purchase and they can hold about 70% of their value over 3 years. I went with 64 GB of memory and the GPU update. I also love the 14-day return policy and NO INTEREST for 2 years. Since my business is still growing, the no interest pushed me off the fence. It comes on Friday.


Nice, congrats! please let me know what you think please?
i use prem pro/FCPX, after effects, element 3d, blender and UE4, what kind of software are you going to be using please?
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby NeoTribalist on 01/8/2018, 7:43 pm

Sent you a PM
NeoTribalist
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 06/9/2016, 11:24 am
System Specs: iMac 27-inch Mid 2011
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby Pilk on 01/9/2018, 2:39 pm

Ive used both Mac and PC since mid 90's and dropped the PC once Vista was released. I was on the fence on replacing my '08 Pro Mac with the trash can model and finally did a upgrade to the iMac Pro. So far the iMac Pro is working for all my needs...graphics/video and audio. Yes it is expensive and Im sure I could have went back to a PC and built one some what cheaper. I priced a Dell about 4 years ago for close to same specs that I wanted and price was not much different from similar specs of the trash can model, but I never pulled the trigger on either.

The iMac Pro I purchased is a 10 core, 2 TB, 64 gig ram and Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB. Around $9000.00 and is about the same investment in the last few Pro Macs Ive purchased over the last 15 years. We will see if I get the same 8 to 10 years out of the iMac! It runs cool and is no where near as hot as my wife's 2011 iMac. As for the graphics, Element does support AMD and from what Ive been told....not intel graphics. So the AMD is good to go for Video Copilot. As for Apple, Im not much a fan for the same reasons posted above. During the success of the iPhone, they seem to thumb their nose at the graphics community. Im hopeful that we may see a change in that direction with talks of a new Pro Mac in the works.
Pilk
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 07/16/2012, 6:00 pm

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/10/2018, 2:11 am

Pilk wrote:Ive used both Mac and PC since mid 90's and dropped the PC once Vista was released. I was on the fence on replacing my '08 Pro Mac with the trash can model and finally did a upgrade to the iMac Pro. So far the iMac Pro is working for all my needs...graphics/video and audio. Yes it is expensive and Im sure I could have went back to a PC and built one some what cheaper. I priced a Dell about 4 years ago for close to same specs that I wanted and price was not much different from similar specs of the trash can model, but I never pulled the trigger on either.

The iMac Pro I purchased is a 10 core, 2 TB, 64 gig ram and Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB. Around $9000.00 and is about the same investment in the last few Pro Macs Ive purchased over the last 15 years. We will see if I get the same 8 to 10 years out of the iMac! It runs cool and is no where near as hot as my wife's 2011 iMac. As for the graphics, Element does support AMD and from what Ive been told....not intel graphics. So the AMD is good to go for Video Copilot. As for Apple, Im not much a fan for the same reasons posted above. During the success of the iPhone, they seem to thumb their nose at the graphics community. Im hopeful that we may see a change in that direction with talks of a new Pro Mac in the works.


Cool, please let us know how it runs with AE, E3D and maybe any other 3D software you use please. Enjoy :D
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby Pilk on 01/11/2018, 6:32 pm

badmonk wrote:
Cool, please let us know how it runs with AE, E3D and maybe any other 3D software you use please. Enjoy :D


So far all is good with iMac Pro. I had one instance that AE would just shut down, but after purging the memory and deleting preference, I have not had any other crashes. One other issue and it may be a AE and High Sierra issue with dual monitors. The problem was when splitting the work space across two monitors, the drop down menus will not work on second monitor. The fix is making change under system preferences/mission control/ and uncheck "displays have separate spaces".
Pilk
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 07/16/2012, 6:00 pm

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/12/2018, 6:19 am

Pilk wrote:
badmonk wrote:
Cool, please let us know how it runs with AE, E3D and maybe any other 3D software you use please. Enjoy :D


So far all is good with iMac Pro. I had one instance that AE would just shut down, but after purging the memory and deleting preference, I have not had any other crashes. One other issue and it may be a AE and High Sierra issue with dual monitors. The problem was when splitting the work space across two monitors, the drop down menus will not work on second monitor. The fix is making change under system preferences/mission control/ and uncheck "displays have separate spaces".


Nice, thank you. Do you use E3D or other 3D programs please? If so, how does it run please? Rendering etc
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby Pilk on 01/12/2018, 2:56 pm

Im only using Element 3D V2 with AE for 3D. Yes it seems fast, but I could not run E3D V2 on my older '08 Pro Mac, so I have nothing to compare speed with, plus I'm in the learning process and have not rendered much as far as complex 3D renders.
Pilk
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 07/16/2012, 6:00 pm

Re: iMac Pro.....Discuss please!

Postby badmonk on 01/13/2018, 3:49 am

Pilk wrote:Im only using Element 3D V2 with AE for 3D. Yes it seems fast, but I could not run E3D V2 on my older '08 Pro Mac, so I have nothing to compare speed with, plus I'm in the learning process and have not rendered much as far as complex 3D renders.


Ok thanks for replying. Must be a huge step up going from your old computer to this.
badmonk
 
Posts: 255
Joined: 12/11/2008, 3:22 am
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2147.hotfix)

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10.0.14393

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32705MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 21.21.13.7633
GPU RAM: 8192MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%) (GL Interop)
CL1: GeForce GTX 1080 (50.0%)


Return to Computer Hardware & Technology