Opinions on color grading wanted. Talkin' to you, Farmfield!

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Opinions on color grading wanted. Talkin' to you, Farmfield!

Postby mystic7 on 06/15/2015, 2:39 pm

Your, and others as well, opinion wanted on the "look" of this short clip. Too dark? Too saturated? Going, of course, for a film look. Cinematic as well, but more concerned with getting my video to look like film right now.

Remember, I do this for my own amusement but it's still important to me, so if I'm off (spare me your obligatory joke here, Farm), any tips would be appreciated.
I call this "Zombie BBQ".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VnzOi1DXJs&feature=youtu.be?rel=0[/youtube]
Last edited by mystic7 on 06/21/2015, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystic7

Re: Opinions on color grading wanted. Talkin' to you, Farmfield!

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/15/2015, 3:04 pm

Color grading is subjective.

That being said, the vignette is too harsh, it's way too dark, and it looks a bit too contrasty somehow. ;) The blacks are crushed too far and the highlights seem to be clipped below white.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby lassebauer on 06/15/2015, 3:19 pm

Hey Mystic7,

My two cents:
I´m with Michael on this one; too dark and contrasty. The blacks too dark.

Why not try some of the professional LUTs that do more than simply tweak your colors?
Maybe check out the LUTs from Motionvfx.com?
They have a Hollywood pack for I think 49$ with a 10% discount for 1st time customers (if I remember correctly), and those LUTs seem pretty cool.
And no - I don´t get any kickbacks or anything ;) Just saw them, and figured they´d be good in your color grading /post shooting arsenal.
I love goooooold. The look of it, the daste of it, the schmell of it, the dexture.
I love gold so much that I even lost my genitalia in an unfortunate schmelting accident. Hence the name....
lassebauer

Postby Farmfield on 06/15/2015, 3:59 pm

I agree with the above posts, too dark, too contrasty and too saturated. I think the easiest way to get into grading is to look at other grades - like in your favorite movies - and trying to match those. I also don't know if I posted this before, but it's good fun in regard to grading, Hollywood style - by a top grading artist, Stu Maschwitz...

I'd also like to add that putting that amount of combustible fluids in a closed container might disturb your neighbors if lit incorrectly. You might also get a face replacement, though imo the Freddie Krüger look is too 80's for my taste.
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby mystic7 on 06/15/2015, 4:04 pm

ok, first off, thanks guys, but I should have removed the vignette, that was just an add on I was messing with and didn't plan on leaving on when rendering the clip. I realized it was too much. However that's not what crushed the blacks, they were like that, but again, it's because of my amateur uncalibrated monitors, where I could see all the detail in the smoker, so on my computer the blacks aren't crushed. But it's good to know that I'm seeing what you guys are seeing as wrong. Didn't catch the contrast being too heavy. I'll tone that down.

Anyway, your responses have helped. Thanks again.

Oh, that's weird, I hit submit and Farm's comment popped up. Yeah, you gave me that before. I'm aware of grading, LUT's, etc. That clip actually has a LUT applied to it. I'm just trying to figure out a "look". As I've said before I hate having thousands of choices. I can never decide. Anyway I'll put up what in my mind is too bland a grading and get your opinions on that. Look for it!!! ;-)

As for the lighter fluid, you're supposed to let it soak in for 5 minutes or so. I didn't pour it on and light it. As for my neighbor's they're a-holes from New Jersey so screw them and their pit bull. May they all go up in flames. Cheers, all!
mystic7

Postby Farmfield on 06/15/2015, 5:54 pm

CC and grading is to a point "following the rules", it's just how it is - and the last part will always be a matter of taste - the hardest part is choosing for yourself what that is - but it's impossible to get around. And it also makes it so friggin hard to give advice. Then again, grading is far from my speciality and you know that I personally go for the less contrasty look, which you're not a huge fan of... ;)

In regard to monitors, it's really difficult to get good results if your monitor is working against you. :(

mystic7 wrote:As for the lighter fluid, you're supposed to let it soak in for 5 minutes or so. I didn't pour it on and light it. As for my neighbor's they're a-holes from New Jersey so screw them and their pit bull. May they all go up in flames. Cheers, all!

Well, though a dog lover, I'm a meat eater first, so I'll give you a somewhat Korean advice - if the dog bothers you, you always got the grill - I bet it'll provide some lean cuisine, that pitbull. :D
Farmfield

Postby mystic7 on 06/15/2015, 7:45 pm

I know but the rules are different depending on which tutorial I come across. Everybody does it different. Some people use curves to adjust a flat picture, some use brightness/contrast, some use Fast Color Corrector, some apply the LUT directly to the flat video... Frustrating.

And, don't pat yourself on the back too hard, but I've come around on the contrast thing as well and see your side of it. Again, the vignette made the look a bit harsher than I intended but it still was a bit too, rich, let's say. You may have noticed I didn't oversharpen, as per your recommendations. But perhaps I underdid it?

Finally, you don't have to be a dog lover to hate pit bulls. Damn thing every time I'm in my back yard and its out I hear it trying to dig under the fence to get to me. One day, I'm telling ya...Pit Kabobs at my place!
mystic7

Postby lassebauer on 06/16/2015, 9:12 am

Check out Videohive.net and see their packs of color presets.
Like this for instance: http://videohive.net/item/cinematic-col ... ets/126388
I love goooooold. The look of it, the daste of it, the schmell of it, the dexture.
I love gold so much that I even lost my genitalia in an unfortunate schmelting accident. Hence the name....
lassebauer

Postby Farmfield on 06/16/2015, 2:11 pm

So one of the CG blogs relinked to this thing today, it's not new, but it's a really nice tutorial on color composition - if you can handle Andrew's persona, hehe, I know some really dislike him... :? :D

Farmfield

Postby mystic7 on 06/18/2015, 2:11 pm

ok now that you've bombarded me with even more tutorials on even more different ways to color grade let me take a short time out and ask sort of a related question. With a 50mm 1.8 prime lens set to f22 (because it was so bright out) should I have like an infinite depth of field? Because, as you can see in my video, my grill is razor sharp but I myself am slightly out of focus, even though I'm maybe 9" closer to the camera.

I've also seen night shots where aperture has to be no higher than 2.8 where everything is in focus. Any advice you can give me regarding this latest quandary? In the meantime I'll be playing along with Stu Gotz's tutorial.
mystic7

Postby Farmfield on 06/18/2015, 2:38 pm

mystic7 wrote:ok now that you've bombarded me with even more tutorials on even more different ways to color grade let me take a short time out and ask sort of a related question. With a 50mm 1.8 prime lens set to f22 (because it was so bright out) should I have like an infinite depth of field? Because, as you can see in my video, my grill is razor sharp but I myself am slightly out of focus, even though I'm maybe 9" closer to the camera.

I've also seen night shots where aperture has to be no higher than 2.8 where everything is in focus. Any advice you can give me regarding this latest quandary? In the meantime I'll be playing along with Stu Gotz's tutorial.

You are sure the camera sensor isn't blurring you in self defense? :D

But yeah, you should have really deep focus but perhaps not enough if you have your focus set to infinity... But man, back in the day they put DoF markings on the lenses - I loved that, it was seriously helpful.

And about tutorials, well, I really don't know how to help you except pointing you to people who are better or at least can tutor this better than I can - and as I said, the biggest problem will always be that much of this is about personal preference, taste, so that's basically untutorable.
Farmfield

Postby mystic7 on 06/18/2015, 7:32 pm

Well, you should have thought of that before you mocked my first attempt. If anything you should have said "If THAT's the look you're going for, you nailed it, son!" ;-)

And in my defense, my sensor....no, you're right. It couldn't stand the sight of me.

And since I have to shoot myself (did I tell you I'm a recent widower? Maybe that will cut down on the ugly jokes), I had to focus on the grill and then hope that I would be in focus as well.
mystic7

Postby Farmfield on 06/20/2015, 5:25 am

True, but I didn't think it was the look you were going for. ;)

And I'm sorry for your loss. My humor - or rather how I use it when communicating - is a part of who I am. I mean no offense and if someone takes it as such, it at least isn't my intent.

About the question of DoF, here's a DoF calculator that will give you an idea of what focus distances to use when setting it up. :)

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Farmfield

Postby mystic7 on 06/20/2015, 5:54 am

ok first I want to thank lassebauer for his contribution. I know all too well, and too much, about LUT's. I remember the first time I threw one onto a flat video the results were great. Ever since, they just make a mess of the video and I do so much tweaking I end up with what the video looked like before I added the LUT. Aggravating, but I keep trying.

Farm there's no way you could have known my wife passed away last year so don't feel bad about the jokes. I've enjoyed our back and forth.

In that first video I was going for a gloomy Autumn day look. I think I succeeded. If all of you imagined I was trying to capture a cookout on the 4th of July I can understand your criticisms.

I will check out that DOF site. As I said, I have to shoot myself. Anything that can give me in focus footage of myself would be much appreciated. I've been shooting video, for better or for worse, for 36 years and have approximately 18 seconds of personal footage. Well, 7 minutes and 38 seconds now.

btw, can someone answer this question? I tried googling it but no luck. Why is it that green grass (or in this case, green weeds) are considered yellow by editing software (Photoshop, AE, Premiere Pro, etc)? In order to change the hue of my lawn I have to adjust the yellow, not the green. Why is that?
mystic7

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects