Element 3D Crash on Render

Questions about Video Copilot products

Element 3D Crash on Render

Postby kennylax12 on 10/13/2012, 12:16 am

I am about ready to pull my hair out with this problem! >-|| Every time I try to render anything with Element 3D in the composition After Effects crashes. Also I am able to navigate the comp fine on half res. but as soon as I switch to full res. AE crashes.

Computer Specs:
Apple 15" MacBookPro 2011
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
4GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)

Here is the crash log: http://pastebin.com/Fs3nwEdk

Please help!
kennylax12

Re: Element 3D Crash on Render

Postby ghoraa on 10/18/2012, 5:40 am

Exactly the same is happening to me.
Element runs fine, but when i try to render, "error when invoking element 3d plugin" appears and AFX crashes. VIDEOCOPILOT please reply.

2.66ghz Intel Core imac, with nvidia 256mb

Thanks
ghoraa

Postby inmediasres on 11/29/2012, 1:46 am

This was driving me crazy too. What worked for me was making sure that Fast Preview was always set to "OpenGL - Always On." Also when rendering be sure to go into Render Settings and tick the box that says "Use OpenGL Renderer." Hope this helps!
inmediasres

Postby 271films on 07/2/2013, 2:43 pm

Yeah, this is dumb. I was so excited to download Element, and it seems pretty sweet, but I swear I've only been able to export 3 videos since I first got it, and since then... it crashes very reliably. Seriously debating a refund.
I'm using AE CS5 on my 13" Macbook Pro running Mac OSX version 10.6.8
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory.
All of CS5 has been working great until I downloaded this plugin.

I'm using the Open GL render (always on) during Fast Previews and I've enabled the Open GL renderer in my AE settings. Still the same crashes. "Error invoking element"

Time to test VC's customer service...
271films

Postby Dustin Hudson on 07/3/2013, 12:06 pm

Hey!

We apologize for the issues you are encountering. Could you please post what graphics card you are running, you may want to make sure that you have one from our Recommended GPU List. If you do not have a compatible card, or are unsatisfied with the product, we do have a 14 day Satisfaction Guarantee so if you contact support@videocopilot within that time we can offer you a refund upon request.

We also did just release an update update for Element if you want to try that version. But please post your graphics card info, and we'll be able to look into the issue further.

Thanks!
Dustin Hudson
VC Administrator
VC Administrator

Twitter: Dustinhud

Postby boxtree on 07/3/2013, 12:44 pm

Me too.

I always get a crash when trying to render a comp using Element.
Something like " element has encountered an error and cannot continue"

It then asks me to compress a log file and send it (which i havnt done so far)

Ive got a workaround by rendering the element layer by itself as a png sequence then bringing this back in.
Once i turn off the real element layer i can then render out the whole project using the render queue or media encoder no problem.

Computer specs are:
Win 7 64 bit
Processor:3.6 GHz intel i7
Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX580
boxtree

Postby Dustin Hudson on 07/3/2013, 2:43 pm

I know there were a couple of issues using media encoder to render and possibly with multiprocessing on. You may want to try the updated version of Element as few things were updated having to do with those things, if you are still having issues, please contact us at support@videocopilot.com and we can help you more specifically there, or even look at specific project file you may be having issues with.

Best,
Dustin
Dustin Hudson
VC Administrator
VC Administrator

Twitter: Dustinhud

Postby shawnstar86 on 01/25/2014, 3:09 pm

The only way i figured out how to render the project is to adjust the render settings to half resolution for example im on a mac i wanted to render the project 1920x1080 and every time i tried to it would close the whole application id get a crash log and such,so what i did was again in the render settings resolution to half which cuts the entire video in half 960x540 but it will render out fine the down side is if you want to scale it after the render to larger aspect like 720 or 1080 you would lose quality..

2009 macbook pro
4gb ddr3 ram
nvidia gorce 9400m
256 V-RAM (video ram)
shawnstar86

Postby Ruecktenwald on 04/3/2014, 1:04 pm

MY SOLUTION

The reason Element crashes usually is because of inferior hardware in your computer.

HOWEVER, I was comping very complex scenes and then it stopped working and would crash on scene setup!

After an hour, I thought to myself, "what did I do last to my files when this started happening?"

Well, I exported a very large OBJ and put it into the models folder, two to be exact. Even though you do not select the OBJ in scene setup, Element 3D still loads all OBJ's in the folder.

For me I have a very very powerful computer, everyone will have different thresholds of how many and how big your OBJ's can be in the Adobe>Video Copilot>Element 3D>Models folder.

As soon as I removed these large OBJ's my problem was solved. BTW, Holy $#@% what an amazing program!!!!!!!

For those still having trouble, I'd recommend trying to take out the large OBJ files of your folder and see if this works. If it does, then add a few at a time and see where your computers threshold is for crashing.

You can store all your OBJ's in a different folder and add them into the element folder as needed..

HOPE THIS SOLVES AT LEAST SOMEONE'S PROBLEM!
Ruecktenwald

Postby botiordog on 06/17/2015, 5:44 am

I don't think its because of inferior hardware, i have the same problem with an i7 and gtx 660 2gb, when I put it tu full rez it freezes, i can work while on half rez, but can render, the only way i can render it out and use it at full is if I turn off the nvidia car and use the incorporated intel HD 4000, with the inel gfx card i can use it on full but its extremely slow, even at quarter rez., so i complete the project with the gtx 660 and switch to the intel HD to render it over night, i really dont get it why it wont work with the nvidia card.
botiordog

System Specs: i7 3770, 24gb ram, gtx 660 oc 2gb card

Postby insomniagfx on 07/1/2015, 11:06 am

I've been having this problem rendering an obj sequence from RealFlow. I managed to get the thing rendered but it took some doing. First fix was to turn off multiprocessing, that was the main thing. So now it rendered past frame 1, but out of an 800 frame sequence it kept crashing at the same place, 581. Who knows why, maybe that obj was more complicated than the others? So I rendered it out as a png sequence until it crashed, then picked up the render at 582 and it continued to the end no problem. So now missing one frame. I duplicated the element layer, turned off the old one, then in the new one I killed the obj sequence and just pulled in frame 581. I rendered just that one frame and that did it. Not ideal but I got through the render. I'm on a new mac pro cylinder that's pretty loaded up so I don't think it's a hardware thing, but who knows. I would love to make this the pipeline for Realflow stuff, bypass Maya etc and just do it all in AE when I can get away with it.
insomniagfx

Return to VC Product Support