Motion Studio 2

Questions about Video Copilot products

Motion Studio 2

Postby 4demon on 01/23/2016, 8:07 am

Hi all! Just bought this purely for the 500 models. I know you can tie it in to Elements, but as I don't have that, nor want to use it with After Effects, I thought all would be well.

In any case, I downlaoded all the files, the main and the alternative, but I'm a little confused. I was able to install the main program, but I have no idea where to. Installation finished, and then... nothing. I was hoping some kind of program would pop up, allowing me to at least view all of the modes, but instead I have to actually import them into 3DS Max 2012 just to see them.

Which brings me to my other issue. When I import them into max, they don't have textures. 12gb of files, and seemingly no textures. I noted that there were 3 different file types. A Max scene file, an FBX, and an OBJ. The Max file just tells me I'm missing a DLL file. The FBX loads in an untextured grey object, but the OBJ is the interesting one. It loads in, but then a message pops up to say that it can't find the textures (MTL) anywhere. When I then search for MTL amongst the 12gbs of files, I can only find 2. In any case, even when I import and object that has the MTL, it still loads in grey.

When I load in the FBX file, it does pop up to say it's made up of X number of elements and Y textures, but I can't figure this out.

Is my version of 3ds Max just too old? Have I simply misunderstood what I can achieve with this program?
4demon

Re: Motion Studio 2

Postby plae57 on 01/23/2016, 10:13 am

There is a user here named Farmfield that I believe uses the e3d models in other software, (fusion I think), but I am pretty sure he has has good results using the Jet pack imported into other software. The jet pack models should not be any different than the motion 2 morels. As a matter of fact, I have just downloaded the models to play around using them in fusion.

Just to follow up. I downloaded motion 2, Jet Strike, and metropolitan models. Jet Strike, and Metropolitan both came with all the needed textures to make everything look and work just fine in Fusion 8 (and I assume the same for any application that can deal with OBJ or FX). The Motion models all imported with Blinn materials to Fusion. I could easily change the colors or add textures to the model, and in Fusion and it's nodes, that's pretty easy. I also looked for the most complicated model in motion, to see how big a pain in the rear that would be. And it would be a pretty big pain in the butt. But for most of the motion 2 models it is not that bad.

So, I guess I confirmed your suspicions about the motion 2 models, but other than being a slight pain in the butt to put materials on everything, they still are a nice little package of models. I am just now starting to play with Fusion and it's 3d world, (so far, hands down more impressive than AEX), and all the VCP models are going to make my life a lot easier.
plae57

Postby Farmfield on 01/23/2016, 3:28 pm

I believe Plae is thinking about this clip...

...but that is not a model from JetStrike, that's a free model from 3D Warehouse - probably the most underestimated 3D model library out there, lots of amazing models available for free at 3D Warehouse. :)

As far as I know there's no other applications that support the e3d format than Element. The obj models in the Element 3D packs work awesomely in other 3D applications - at least the ones I used for RnD and alike in Fusion, Nuke, Houdini...
Last edited by Farmfield on 01/24/2016, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby 4demon on 01/24/2016, 4:53 am

Hmm... before purchasing, I looked through lots of videos about it, and in one of them, Andrew Kramer specifically mentioned that they're textured, and you can see the little thumbnails of the objects, showing that they're textured (different effects, etc). Seems they're only textured for Element 3D.

So yeah, not sure how pleased I am about that... especially as it's described as "Ready to build assets". It's going to be a big pain texturing each one of the potential 500 objects, especially as I'm imagining it's going to be slightly different than just slapping a texture on them. Who knows.

I'm also finding it quite a pain to look through the objects. In order to find something I like the look of, I need to open each object up. This is quite a chore, especially as I then need to remember which one the last object I opened was (I know, it doesn't sound too hard, but sometimes I like to try my hand at texturing an object before deciding I don't like it).

Is anyone aware of a program that'll allow me to preview 3d models in a library, so I can at least see a thumbnail before I open it? I had hoped this purchase would include thumbnails so those only wanting the objects wouldn't need to worry... but I guess they really want us to get Element 3d :-}=
4demon

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 01/24/2016, 5:48 am

I'm pretty sure if you contact support on video copilot, they'll refund you, if you really wanted to. They are exceptionally good at customer support (IMO anyways).

I had the same problem importing the objects into C4D. But then I found out that C4D has a content browser window and if I navigate to the VCP folder with the models, it shows me previews. Not sure if maybe Max has that? I did spend a good deal of time trying to find a preview program and couldn't.
Guitarboy2828

Postby 4demon on 01/24/2016, 6:18 am

I'm not currently thinking about a refund, beyond any reason beyond refunding purely so I can buy a bundle rather than individual products.

I've emailed them asking if the object are meant to be textured or not.

I found a pretty good program that allows me to view them. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. It's called p3do. Hoping it's meant to sound like c3po rather than what it looks like, but in any case, it works. Little clunky, but it's better than nothing.

As a side note, does anyone know where I can get those hall objects Andrew uses in the new Element 3D video? Where he shows symmetry? I hoped they were in Motion Studio, but sadly not.
4demon

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 01/24/2016, 1:08 pm

With regards to the hall objects, they are all components found in the Motion Design 2 pack. He's just built it using several of them (as seen in the video).
Guitarboy2828

Postby plae57 on 01/24/2016, 4:19 pm

4demon wrote:I found a pretty good program that allows me to view them. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. It's called p3do....

Thank you for that. I am slowly switching to Fusion for most 3d integration and currently I had to open after effects to view the models. This may just solve that problem. Thanks!
plae57

Postby 4demon on 01/25/2016, 5:26 am

Guitarboy2828 wrote:With regards to the hall objects, they are all components found in the Motion Design 2 pack. He's just built it using several of them (as seen in the video).

Ahh, so they are! Thanks for that!

Hoping to hear back from someone via email early this week regarding the textures.
4demon

Postby Farmfield on 01/25/2016, 8:25 am

For stuff like the models in Motion Design 2, in regard to texturing, this is where procedural textures works great in Max, and depending on what renderer you're gonna use, you can also use stuff like AO, VRay dirt, to create masks for doing stuff like grime/dirt in cracks and crevices, edge wear, just generally mix textures - or even materials - procedurally...

Another workflow would be assembling your models in Max and exporting them into something like Mudbox, Substance Painter, Mari or using Quixel with Photoshop for painting and texturing...
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to VC Product Support