Element 3D request

Questions about Video Copilot products

Element 3D request

Postby mdmotion on 05/9/2015, 2:47 pm

Hi. IMHO Element 3D really needs some kind of method of re-creating Max /C4D scene setups with repect to camera work. Trying to re-create camera's, camera mappings by trial and error is frankly just not good enough. Can we please some kind of utility/method of working with scale, coordinate systems to match up stuff in AE?

Mike
mdmotion

Re: Element 3D request

Postby Farmfield on 05/9/2015, 3:33 pm

Are you talking about projection mapping using Element and the AE cameras? If so, that's a functionality that is so "unsupported" in AE, whatever you do will just be a mess of a workaround. There are some things where you just drop AE for Nuke or Fusion, projection setups is one of them.
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby mdmotion on 05/10/2015, 1:39 am

Nope. Talking about objects from 3DsMax (or C4D) that comes into Element with uvw's from a camera projection. Not being able to match an AE cam to that - is my problem. Thanks, Mike
mdmotion

Postby Farmfield on 05/10/2015, 6:03 am

So this is just about matching cameras between 3D applications and AE? Well, it's an old problem and an absolute pain... This is one of those things where Adobe really dropped the ball, fbx support for importing camera data should have been implemented years ago, I really don't know what the hell they are thinking... :P

The solution is that this is an old problem so there's a lot of scripts out there, aimed at camera export for AE - like this SK Films Camera Exporter - which will hopefully work.

Oh, and this is really out of VCP's hands as Element use the AE cameras, there's really nothing they can do in Element to help this along, this is all on Adobe.

As a sidenote I would like to add that it can also be a pain exporting cameras from Max no matter what app you are planning to use it in due to how Max handles parenting and transformations. This trick is very helpful if you find yourself in a situation where an exported camera has screwed up pivoting and/or transformations...

Farmfield

Postby mdmotion on 05/10/2015, 11:44 am

Farmfield - thanks for taking an interest in this. To be honest, this actually "feels" like an Element problem to me. I'm already aware of RPF's and Max2AE from Boomerlabs (I was on the beta-team), so maybe I haven't explained my problem well enough (wrong even?). I can match my AE cam to my Max cam - no problemo. It is my Element geometry, that I cannot place EXACTLY as it resides in my Max scene. Describing it as a cam problem to begin with was because of the camera projection mapping - apologies, if that was a mistake...

Regards,
Mike
MDMotion
mdmotion

Postby Farmfield on 05/10/2015, 4:37 pm

Aah, it's a coordinate space issue then, and this is in both C4D and Max? I mean, Max is a friggin pain with transformations, that's just as it is, but if you have similar issues with C4D and Max, it's likely an issue with Element or - probably even more likely - an issue with the AE 3D space. >-||

And not even kidding when I say the AE 3D space is probably the only thing that annoys me as much as Max transformations, so combining them is obviously a great recipe for disaster.

Anyhow, the easiest way to start here is probably to figure out which of these are to blame.

1. Camera settings (focal length and film back size)

2. Application coordinate system

3. Application unit/scale

4. 3D object pivot

And what I would do is create a scene in Max (or in your case, Max or C4D), then import it with Element, render it out, load the render as the scene background to your original scene, set it to wireframe and see how the render differ from the scene. From there you should probably be able to tell which of the above is the problem. (I hope :))
Farmfield

Postby klaus brandenburg on 05/17/2015, 1:54 pm

I'm not exactly sure (and don't have AE available right now) but for C4D cameras in AE with Element you need to set the groups scaling to 4 (inside Element Scene Setup Normalize Size rather off than on, I think) to get a match. Don't know how it's for Max but maybe the you can find the settings in tutorial 137 /Explosive Training) where Andrew combined Max with AE.
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Postby vcking on 07/30/2015, 3:48 pm

You can perfectly match C4D camera/objects with Element 3D and AE cam.
Pixelperfect. Using the Box trick! I'm using it now and it is rock solid!!!!

You will love me for this! :))
https://vimeo.com/51759684

I love the maker of the movie!
GREAT find. And a bit annoying Andrew never gave us this solution.
vcking

System Specs: macpro 12c

Return to VC Product Support