optical flare bounding box

Questions about Video Copilot products

optical flare bounding box

Postby kyzr40 on 02/18/2014, 12:28 pm

Having problems with optical flares for nuke 7, cropping image to format size. I need flares with overscan or larger bounding box, right now the plugin crops the flare image to the scene format. Is there a way to override this and get flares with 20 % overscan. I have tried both 3d flares linked to linghts and 2d tracked versions

thanks
kyzr40

Re: optical flare bounding box

Postby thefiend1 on 03/12/2014, 4:20 pm

an Overscan option would be great! Would like to see an option where we can input the overscan resolution right underneath the format options.

So lets say my format is 2048x858, I can set my Overscan format to 2129x893, or whatever value.
thefiend1

Re: optical flare bounding box

Postby greenspade on 09/20/2018, 4:35 pm

I came upon this thread looking for an answer but I discovered a solution while messing around in After Effects! The trick is to add a Transform effect before Optical Flares and adjust the anchor point of the layer. This will effectively change where the flare is rendered on screen but keep the same frame dimensions. From there, you can duplicate the layer and offset those additional layers to fill out the screen. Next, precomp all those layers and set the Precomp to Screen/Add or whatever your blend mode is. The one caveat is that you have to keep the layers in the precomp with a black background, not transparent, but that shouldn't be a problem if you just add unmult to the precomp in your main comp.

Hope this helps anyone who stumbles on this thread!
greenspade

System Specs: 2012 Macbook Pro, After Effects 2018

Return to VC Product Support