Saber Plug-in: Masking when already using a mask

Questions about Video Copilot products

Saber Plug-in: Masking when already using a mask

Postby MaxLevel on 02/6/2020, 12:08 pm

Hiya! Thanks for reading. I'm relatively new to After Effects, so please keep that in mind when responding with suggestions :)

What I'm trying to do: Create a beam of light that circles a cup, then animate a brighter pulse of light, tracing that beam.

The problem: Because I'm already using a mask to create the shape of my beam, I cannot figure out how to mask out the core (as you can when you're just using the default line of the saber plug-in). I still want the glow to look like it's wrapping around the cup.

I'm sure that I can create a bunch of masks then use track matting to mask out one layer that is just the core, and then another layer that is just a glow, but I'm hoping there is a much more simple solution, like figuring out a way to just bend the default line of the saber plug-in.

As you can see in the image, I'm currently using a precomposed layer with a couple shape layers and various blur effects, but it just doesn't look good. Again, I could tweak it and add two separate layers (one for the core and one for the glow), but I'm hoping for a more simple and, simultaneously, better looking result.

The red and yellow beams just have a basic mask applied to them at the moment, but they may better illustrate the main issue I'm facing.

If I can provide further clarification, please let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to read this and help a n00b out.
MaxLevel

System Specs: CPU: Ryzen 3900x
GPU: 2080ti
RAM: 16GB (soon be to be 32)

Return to VC Product Support