Tracing Individual Elements from a pattern using photshop?

3d Design and graphics

Tracing Individual Elements from a pattern using photshop?

Postby VorpDAHACKA on 12/24/2012, 3:31 pm

Hey there

I am pretty new to photoshop, and I am trying to make a traced vector-path from an image of a voronoi pattern.

(Like this one : >>> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HIEtuirI5q4/S ... 2D.svg.png <<<)

I tried using the magic selection tool, but with it... I click on a certain part of the whole pattern, and it gets selected like I want, then I select another piece of the pattern, but then both images share 1 whole outline, instead of each one having a separate one.

Any Ideas How Can I select all the diffrent "elements" of the voronoi pattern without them just sharing one big out line?

Thanks for any responces in advance
VorpDAHACKA

Re: Tracing Individual Elements from a pattern using photshop?

Postby chrisfig on 01/18/2013, 11:08 am

Well, first off using the magic wand isn't going to give you a vector path, you'll most likely need to use the pen tool for that.

If you're selecting shapes that are next to each other then yes, they're going to become one big shape. You could select elements that don't share any edges to maintain the separate shapes.

This is something that could be pretty quickly traced in Illustrator or even in Photoshop with the pen tool, I'd probably just do it that way.
chrisfig

Re: Tracing Individual Elements from a pattern using photshop?

Postby personalfx on 01/18/2013, 11:26 am

If the image is big enough you can pull it into AI if you have that available, and just use the live trace tool, if the image is big enough usually it's just a matter of a couple clicks and an ungroup command ;)
personalfx

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator