I want too........

3d Design and graphics

I want too........

Postby rick_ford55 on 01/25/2011, 2:47 pm

i want to create an image like

http://merveyildiz.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... d-example/

although i would like to create the template of the photoframes in photoshop with the middle of the frames blanked out so i can import into AE but i cant seem to set it up properly?? any ideas how this is done?
rick_ford55

Re: I want too........

Postby nico89-fx on 01/25/2011, 5:06 pm

White Layer (not background layer) of whichever proportions you need, grab rectangular marquee tool, draw your hole, hit delete, save as PSD, keeps the alpha channel.
Or in AE itself, white solid, click on it, add a rectangular mask to make the hole, set to subtract.
Or is there something else you are having trouble with?
nico89-fx

Postby SThompsonRAMM on 01/25/2011, 7:13 pm

Rick,

I was going to reply to your other post and see if you wanted to try this in Photoshop but didn't know if your picture within the frames was going to be live action or not.

Are you familiar with Photoshop?

As Nico suggested, a Polaroid Frame is pretty simple in itself but you can find templates for them all over the web.

Here's a link to one that you can download and use in your project.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/freedownloads/ht/polaroidframe.htm

Good Luck,
Steve
SThompsonRAMM

Postby rick_ford55 on 01/26/2011, 4:01 pm

i can make the polaroid frames no bother in either photoshop or AE its getting the lady to only appear in the polaroids and not OUTWITH the polaroids that is the main problem no matter how i mask or apply mattes i cant get her to stay in the photoframes and above the background.......i'm actually losing the will......i know the prob is dead simple or the solution will prolly be like a lightbulb moment but right now i'm like AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGH!
rick_ford55

Postby nico89-fx on 01/26/2011, 4:05 pm

How do you mean stay in the photoframes? Could you post a screenie of what's wrong? (Maybe a couple if it's an animation)
nico89-fx

Postby SThompsonRAMM on 01/26/2011, 5:06 pm

OK Rick,
We don't want you to lose your mind so let's start with the basics.

Let's start with your Polaroid Frame on layer 1 and your picture or photo layer beneath it on Layer 2.

I am going to assume that your Polaroid Frame has a black center where the picture should be.

1) Add a Layer Mask (first icon to the right of the FX button at the bottom of your Layers pallette) to your Polaroid Frame Layer. The Mask icon is the one with the little white circle inside the box.

2) Use the Magic Wand to highlight the Black inside the frame. (Make sure that you are on the MASK LAYER) You should have some "marching ants" that make up the square.

3) Go up to your tool bar and click on EDIT then select FILL and choose FILL WITH BLACK.

Your Image picture layer should now show up inside your Polaroid Frame.

Am I anywhere on the right track?

Let me know,
Steve
SThompsonRAMM

Postby rick_ford55 on 01/27/2011, 2:15 am

Yes she would appear in the photoframe if i followed these instructions however she would still appear outside the photoframes in the layer below.....if you look at the link in my original post the woman ONLY appears in the frames. If i apply a mask to the centre of the polaroid layer (black area) i would still need to mask in between the seperate polaroid frames to delete the bits of the image layer i DONT want to see
rick_ford55

Postby nico89-fx on 01/27/2011, 7:00 am

Here's an idea: Instead of just masking the center of your polaroid frame to be transparent do as follows.
Polaroid PreCOMP
1-Black Solid with mask to make for the frame. Set mask to add.
2-White solid.

Use this precomp to populate your scene with polaroid frames.
Make a copy of your final comp. In this copy, add a white solid as a bg. Take it into your final comp again, put your picture below it and set it to luma inverted matte.

If you get lost, please watch this
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/tutorials/04.Keying/
nico89-fx

Postby SThompsonRAMM on 01/27/2011, 4:29 pm

Hey Rick,

if i followed these instructions however she would still appear outside the photoframes in the layer below

Yes, she would... then you would erase the parts (the girl) you don't want to see outside the frame and then merge your layers together.

That's why I was asking you how familiar you are with Photoshop so I would know how much step by step help you might need.

Nico's suggestion is an excellent way to acheive this in AE.

Good Luck,
Steve
SThompsonRAMM

Postby nico89-fx on 01/27/2011, 4:48 pm

Why on earth did I think this was to be done in AE?

Sorry 'bout that.
nico89-fx

Postby SThompsonRAMM on 01/27/2011, 5:14 pm

Why on earth did I think this was to be done in AE?

Sorry 'bout that.

No need to apologize Nico as I was getting a little dizzy myself. Rick posted the question in the After Effects section as well.
SThompsonRAMM

Postby rick_ford55 on 01/28/2011, 11:30 am

proper.psd
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 803 times
Ok sorry guys for moaning so much but this is really frustrating.....i have almost managed it though ok here's what i did all in photoshop.....

1. took picture of lady into photoshop and quick selected her and got rid of background
2. Brought in a new layer with photo on it
3. duplicated photo lots of times and placed them were i wanted them
4. This created around 15 layers in the one group
5. used pen tool to select black areas of photos > make selection > layer > hide selection
6. continue through all frames

And YES!!!!! WOOP WOOP ETC it gave me the exact look i was wanting..........

ONLY PROBLEM......
I can now see the photoframes below
rick_ford55

Postby SThompsonRAMM on 01/28/2011, 6:25 pm

Rick,

I think you're on the right track but you're making this way too hard.

I took a Poloroid png with no center and placed it where you have yours doing this one at a time. With the Magic Wand I selected the center which gave me the marching ants. I then went to the girl layer and copied the selection and then pasted it into my Poloraid Center. When I was done, I just shot off my original girl layer.
Attachments
proper_steve.psd
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 750 times
SThompsonRAMM

Postby SThompsonRAMM on 01/28/2011, 6:32 pm

I also noticed that the layers stacks, counting down from 15 would go numerically to 3 and then continue with 1, Polaroid, and then 2 to layer properly.

Again, this is just an example as you will want to clean up the transparencies of the girl that was erased. Either that or add a black shadow underneath.

Steve
SThompsonRAMM

Postby Fyro90 on 06/9/2014, 2:58 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum.

I have exactly the same problem... I've done this before in Photoshop, but now want to do it in AE with a video in the polaroid collage.

I've tried the luma inverted matte method mention above but don't understand what you mean by the copy of your main comp.

Sorry, I haven't used AE in a very long time and didn't really know much about it to begin with.
I'm making a Save the date video for my wedding and have been wanting to do something in AE for a while now as well.
Fyro90

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/10/2014, 7:16 am

Fyro90 wrote:Sorry, I haven't used AE in a very long time and didn't really know much about it to begin with.

To get up to speed on this and a ton of other stuff you'll need to know in AE, start here.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Fyro90 on 06/10/2014, 11:48 am

SThompsonRAMM wrote:I took a Poloroid png with no center and placed it where you have yours doing this one at a time. With the Magic Wand I selected the center which gave me the marching ants. I then went to the girl layer and copied the selection and then pasted it into my Poloraid Center. When I was done, I just shot off my original girl layer.

Is there a way to do this in AE? This is exactly how I had done it in Photoshop, but going to AE I realized it's not as simple...
Fyro90

Postby Fyro90 on 06/11/2014, 9:38 am

Ok, so I came right with the polaroids, But now when I add a drop shadow to the white solid (Polaroid) I end up with a shadow inside it as well, where the mask has been applied. Any way to prevent this from happening?
I've added a screenshot of the polaroids with the drop shadow so you can see what I mean.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-06-11 18.21.48.png
Fyro90

Postby nico89-fx on 06/11/2014, 10:20 am

You'd have to flatten those out somehow (since this is AE, precomp each polaroid photo, both frame and inner image) so that you get them to be seen as a single object by the drop shadow effect.
nico89-fx

Postby Fyro90 on 06/11/2014, 11:57 am

Problem is I don't have an inner image in the polaroids. I masked out the white solids and then on the same spot masked the background so you can see the image below that. That was the only way I could get a video to play behind the polaroids.
Fyro90

Postby nico89-fx on 06/12/2014, 1:41 am

Is there any chance you could post a project file? From what I gather, and from what you have done, if you want the shadow to appear on the polaroid only, you should precomp the white layer, apply the drop shadow inside the precomp (provided that there's enough room at the sides of the solid for it to fit inside the frame, there should be no problems doing it that way), then apply the final mask in the final composite.
Would that work for you?
nico89-fx

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator