Link Camera from one comp to another

Scripting for After Effects

Link Camera from one comp to another

Postby mmoerders on 06/23/2015, 2:20 am

Hello,
I have a composition with a ton of layers arranged in 3D space, which makes it hard to work with, and a complex camera movement. To make working easier I need to "clean up" my main comp and put all these 3D layers in a child comp and simply put the child comp into my main comp.

Now I could for example copy the camera from my main comp to the child comp so that everything works together. But since the camera movement will change a couple of times in the process and I don't want to copy every new version of the camera keyframes from my main comp to my child comp, I was wondereing if there is a way to do it with expressions.

So basically I want the camera in the child comp to do exactly what the camera in the main comp is doing, updating automatically, with expressions.

Can you guys help me?

Thanks a lot!

Marius
mmoerders

Re: Link Camera from one comp to another

Postby krisq on 06/23/2015, 3:35 am

Take a look at this: http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2014/0 ... -tutorial/

I think that's what you're looking for.
krisq

Re: Link Camera from one comp to another

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/23/2015, 1:57 pm

If you're using CC, you have the copy with relative property links option. Check it out. It will blow your mind.
It copies your layer with all of the properties linked back to whatever comp you copied it out of. This means that, if you change the camera in your main comp, the camera in the other comp will move too.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to After Effects Expressions