SET PATH option!!!

Everything Element 3D belongs here

SET PATH option!!!

Postby adamcloud on 07/26/2012, 8:18 am

I don't know if this topic has been touched or if I'm posting in the right place, but at work, we've come against a problem that needs addressing ASAP:

When you apply Element to a layer in After Effects and import either a .OBJ or .C4D file, the path to that 3d file needs to stay in the same place at all times. I think this also applies to materials, but I know for sure it definitely applies to 3d objects. If you try to do things any other way, either After Effects crashes or successfully loads the After Effects project file, but the 3d models don't come with.....because the path to the 3d object is set once and only once; no way to change this. this is bad:(

THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM:(:(:( At the office, I work alongside a senior animator and this seems like a no-brainer need for this filter. A few bugs have happened, but nothing I'd bring up here just yet.

SETTING THE PATH TO A 3D OBJECT, AS IS, ONCE YOU IMPORT IT, THAT'S THE LAST YOU CAN DO WITH IT. SOMEONE @ VIDEOCOPILOT, PLEASE FIX THIS:D PLEASE HELP ANDREW KRAMER. I DON'T THINK ANYONE CAN HEAR ME NO MATTER HOW MANY CAPITALIZED WORDS I USE IN A ROW:(

Please let me know if I'm missing something. I don't feel that I am, but I have been wrong before.
Thanks!

adamcloud
adamcloud

Re: SET PATH option!!!

Postby dqhoward on 07/26/2012, 2:18 pm

I agree, an option to reselect the imported obj/c4d file would be nice. (Just came on to post this)
Am I right in thinking it isnt possible at the moment?
Starting anew (ie remapping each material) if you move the source is tedious.
But is currently necessary to manage your stores of (favourite) models...

Similarly, is there a way to add a preset material without it renaming the target material?
eg shift-drag them over the old material.
When I play with different looks I keep having to rename the material lest I forget what part it represents.
Rather have correctly named copies of materials that "Metal Grunge #4" on them all, for example.

Little things that would be nice :)
dqhoward

Re: SET PATH option!!!

Postby adamcloud on 07/26/2012, 3:48 pm

dqhoward wrote:I agree, an option to reselect the imported obj/c4d file would be nice. (Just came on to post this)
Am I right in thinking it isnt possible at the moment?

It's definitely not as far as I could tell. There aren't a lot of setting options for the 3d media and how it connects. If the 3d objects are anywhere but where you got them from, no matter if you rename folder structures identically, AE won't give you any option to get them from anywhere else. This can be inconvenient like any AE project where the files are all over the place, but Element doesn't allow for deeper rooting than the very heart of the root.

Not sure about the material problem. I haven't made too many materials on any 3d object I've brought in yet, but that too sounds like a ****:(

I hope someone can help us with both of our problems:/ Otherwise, I LOVE Element so far. Can't wait to do more!!
adamcloud

Return to Element 3D