A Unique Challenge + Solution

Everything Element 3D belongs here

A Unique Challenge + Solution

Postby pedrostamales on 07/20/2012, 1:49 pm

Element is a fantastic plug-in, and the first thing I thought of when a client called me a couple days ago asking about a motion graphics project, was how to integrate Element.

The basic parts of the graphic were simple to produce, basically a pinwheel effect(with Group 1) + extruded text (with Group 2) in the center:

Sample-Notext.jpg

I was able to create a path shape and replicate it 5 times for the pinwheel, and the text in the center speaks for itself.

The problem, however, came when the client wanted text to be on each individual arms of the pinwheel, and the easiest way to do this and be able to extrude the text was to have all the text in another group. Easy enough, except each arm needed to display a different set of text. So I created my 5 sets of text and applied them to the custom layers in order and went into the scene setup and customized my new extrusions to my liking and assigned them to be in Group 3.

At first nothing happened, so I set the replicator for Group 3 to be a ring, with 5 particles and oriented as needed and behold, my text was now positioned right where I needed it. But something wasn't right:

Wrong-Text.jpg

As you can see, the text is not displaying all 5 different texts I created, but instead there are two duplicates. Why? I discovered that this is controlled by the random seed number within the particle replicator. So after a little while of tediously scrolling through the random seed numbers trying to find what will give me the desired result, I found random seed 4200 to be the magic number.

Sample.jpg

Now we're in business. As far as I can tell, however, 4200 only works with 5 different texts, and I haven't had a chance to figure out any other combinations yet. If anyone wants to take a stab at it, please post it in the replies, or please let me know if there's an easier way to achieve this effect!

The advantages of having multiple texts all controlled by the same replicator and particle settings are limitless. Thanks for an awesome plug-in Andrew!!
pedrostamales

Return to Element 3D