3D objects on 3D tracked footage

Everything Element 3D belongs here

3D objects on 3D tracked footage

Postby mintcheerios on 07/19/2012, 9:24 pm

I've been trying to composite an Element 3d object into a scene with 3d camera movement and make it look realistic, but it's a lot trickier than I thought. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The first challenge is properly positioning the object. I take my footage and run it through AE6's 3d camera tracker, select the track points of the plane I want, and then create a solid object and camera. I check to see that the solid is tracked well by scrubbing through the footage, and then I turn the solid into a grid and enlarge it so it covers the plane. I then hide the footage layer so I can just see the 3d object and grid. I use the first frame of the footage to move the camera around so I can place the 3d object on the grid. This is really tedious and I can't help but feel there is a better way to do this. I just wish I could automatically get a perfect top, front, and side views of the grid, but I have to do this manually and even then I can only get an approximately accurate view. It's a problem if I want to just slightly scale the object up because then I have to manually go back to the side view and re-adjust its position. Is there an easier way to do this?

When the object is positioned, I still need to add some lights and fake a shadow. I can kind of do this, but right now it's not looking very convincing. I'm still very new to 3d, so I figure I just need to practice messing with it some more.

If any of you experts have some spare minutes and would like to help me out (and other newbies), I provided a link below of an easily trackable 7 second clip with one light source (the sun coming through window on a cloudy day). I just want someone to place the diet soda can object (comes with Element 3d) on the table and make it look as realistic as possible by only using Element 3D and AE6, and then provide the aep project file. I would greatly appreciate this and I imagine others will as well.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1017296/testsource.mp4

Thanks!
mintcheerios

Re: 3D objects on 3D tracked footage

Postby DMKMedia on 07/20/2012, 12:31 am

dont forget a good track needs corners those items with spheres in there are no good.
also how are u tracking you should load your footage then just click track camera
and let it do its magic

then click add camera button in the tracking box

then after that anything 3d you put in there will follow your motion
DMKMedia

Re: 3D objects on 3D tracked footage

Postby mintcheerios on 07/20/2012, 4:52 am

Yeah, that's how I've been tracking things, but the object is usually floating above the table and I have to place it on the table which takes me awhile to get right. According to the latest blog post, it looks like Andrew Kramer will have a tutorial up soon that will answer a bunch of 3d tracking questions.
mintcheerios

Return to Element 3D