Help changing anchor points for simple rotation

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Help changing anchor points for simple rotation

Postby matt_r on 07/19/2012, 2:25 pm

I've got a model on a helicopter, I brought it into 3D Max and changed the materials to that I've got the propeller, rotor, and body all separated (which I never would have figured out without that new video!). I've got all three parts on separate groups but when I try to rotate the rotor or prop they rotate on the axis of the whole object. I can't seem to find anyway and change the rotation to the group center, or anyway to make it spin in place.
matt_r

Re: Help changing anchor points for simple rotation

Postby candymanjl on 07/19/2012, 3:09 pm

Once you separate it into groups you have to adjust the anchor point of each group. Putting something into it's own group doesn't change the anchor point. Once you change the anchor point it "should" spin correctly but I've had marginal success with this so far. One item I have just won't react to the new anchor point for some reason.
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Twitter: candymanjl

Postby matt_r on 07/19/2012, 7:18 pm

I've used the pan behind tool to try to adjust the anchor point of each separate group. But when I move the anchor point around the groups move away from one another.
matt_r

Postby candymanjl on 07/20/2012, 9:24 am

Yeah the position values are based on the anchor point so that makes sense. Once the anchor point is moved you should be able to reposition it into place.
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Postby klaus brandenburg on 07/20/2012, 11:17 am

how do you move the anchor point of an object inside the plugin???
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Postby candymanjl on 07/20/2012, 11:22 am

Under the options for each group you can adjust the anchor point of that group. That should let you move what point you want to rotate around.
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Postby matt_r on 07/21/2012, 10:02 pm

candymanjl wrote:Under the options for each group you can adjust the anchor point of that group. That should let you move what point you want to rotate around.

That's exactly what I've tried to do, and it's not working at all. Unless I'm just missing some super simple thing, I can't do it at all.
matt_r

Postby candymanjl on 07/22/2012, 4:19 am

I've had the same problem with one of their models from one of their model packs. I can put the anchor point anywhere I want and the rotation doesn't change. Might be a bug :(
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Postby ImagineersDesign on 07/25/2012, 4:15 am

We might have found a work-around in C4D.

Move your objects as such, that the zero-anchorpoint of the scene sits where you need to pivot your elements. Then you can open Element 3D, and set the anchorpoint of the specific object to "From Model".
You need to set up your objects again, but now it works.

Found this workaround while looking for a way to animate a box that was supposed to open its lid. Works here. If you have more than two objects, I am not so sure.

Hope it helps.
- Florian
(Andrew, a tutorial or a FAQ regarding this working with anchorpoints would be great. You know we need them! :D)
ImagineersDesign

Postby dqhoward on 07/25/2012, 2:28 pm

You can also try this
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=89657
dqhoward

Return to Element 3D