uvw unwrapping? Whats the deal?

Everything Element 3D belongs here

uvw unwrapping? Whats the deal?

Postby jforge on 07/19/2012, 12:49 pm

(For the record, I'm not a 3d artist or animator. I have very little to no experience with 3d programs or models.)

I wanted to bring up this topic being that I'm running into texture problems (as for others) with custom 3d models from Turbosquid. Now after reading threw some of the forums I found one topic that sorta talked about the issue I'm having but didn't give a clear answer.

My question, to correctly texture a custom 3d model in Element 3D you must UV unwrap it first or have a 3d model that's been unwrapped?

here's Andrew Kramer's textures. Iv'e yet to find a 3d model on turbosquid that comes like this.

Any feedback or help would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Forgehouse Films
jforge

Twitter: jasonforge

Re: uvw unwrapping? Whats the deal?

Postby TomPietrowski on 07/19/2012, 1:10 pm

most models will have a UV map. Turbo squid lists if the model is UVed or not. If you get a model that is not, all you need to do is download blender (free) watch a few UVing tutorials and then UV the model.

Setting out UV's is not to hard and its a useful thing you will need to learn if you ever start making your own models and textures.
TomPietrowski

Postby klaus brandenburg on 07/19/2012, 2:02 pm

I also have problems creating a uv map in cinema 4d let alone blender. some of my models have working maps already but in order to reduce the amount of maps it would be nice to be able to limit the amount of textures to one and maybe another for tranpsarent objects. I tried the uv mapping tool and the baking texture procedure but anything I export doesnt look well in c4d and e3d, so if anybody is capable to do a tutorial on that it would be highly appreciated.
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Postby jforge on 07/19/2012, 2:06 pm

TomPietrowski wrote:most models will have a UV map. Turbo squid lists if the model is UVed or not. If you get a model that is not, all you need to do is download blender (free) watch a few UVing tutorials and then UV the model.

Setting out UV's is not to hard and its a useful thing you will need to learn if you ever start making your own models and textures.

I don't think its as easy as you make it sound. Especially for people who have no 3D experience. Looks like people like us will have to wait for 3D model packs formatted for Element 3D to come out... Not cool!
Forgehouse Films
jforge

Postby TomPietrowski on 07/19/2012, 2:07 pm

Im unsure of what you are asking. You make the UV map in your 3d app, you then take that UV map into a app like photoshop to create the textures. There is no need to bake the textures into the model. You apply the texture to the object inside element.

The basic work flow goes.

UV map the model in a 3d app.

Take the UV map in somthing like photoshop.

Create all the maps such as colour, bump and spec in photoshop.

Export the model as an OBJ file from your 3d app.

Inport the model into element, and use the differnt textures you made in photoshop for the differnt texture slots in element.
TomPietrowski

Postby jforge on 07/19/2012, 2:28 pm

TomPietrowski wrote:Im unsure of what you are asking. You make the UV map in your 3d app, you then take that UV map into a app like photoshop to create the textures. There is no need to bake the textures into the model. You apply the texture to the object inside element.

The basic work flow goes.

UV map the model in a 3d app.

Take the UV map in somthing like photoshop.

Create all the maps such as colour, bump and spec in photoshop.

Export the model as an OBJ file from your 3d app.

Inport the model into element, and use the differnt textures you made in photoshop for the differnt texture slots in element.

Let me try to explain as best I can. I downloaded a WWII model from turbo squid as an OBJ. The plane is fully textured in 3ds max. I'm able to bring out the plane in Element 3D just fine. When I go to texture it in Element 3D it doesn't work because the original texture files didn't come with the correct UV mapping/textures Element 3D calls for. Now what?

Forgehouse Films
jforge

Postby harryb on 07/19/2012, 3:02 pm

Hi jforge, Have you made sure you've checked "Export materials" in the Max OBJ exporter dialogue box? Also, you could try setting the preset at the bottom of the dialogue to Cinema4D. If the model has UVs mapped to it, you should be good to go. Hope this helps.
harryb

Postby jforge on 07/19/2012, 3:27 pm

harryb wrote:Hi jforge, Have you made sure you've checked "Export materials" in the Max OBJ exporter dialogue box? Also, you could try setting the preset at the bottom of the dialogue to Cinema4D. If the model has UVs mapped to it, you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Hey Harryb, I don't have 3ds max on this computer so I have no way of exporting this model out. I download the file straight from turbosquid as a OBJ and this is how it came. The folder came with a few png images, thats it.

As I said before I really don't know how to use 3ds max ether so uv mapping and all these terms confuse me.
Forgehouse Films
jforge

Postby TomPietrowski on 07/19/2012, 3:38 pm

Well it looks like your textures are tilable textures. You should be able to just load say the camouflage texture as the diffuse and it will tile across the model. As for the extras it looks as though they were projected onto the model, or there are individual parts of the model that only have that texture.

Your best bet is to get blender, open the model and have a look at the UV map which came with the model.

Or if you want link the model and ill have a look at it for you.
TomPietrowski

Postby jforge on 07/19/2012, 3:50 pm

Thanks Tom! Ill send you a link to download the model. Can I send it to your email? Send me a PM.
Forgehouse Films
jforge

Postby TomPietrowski on 07/19/2012, 5:00 pm

let me know if you have any issues with the updated obj.
TomPietrowski

Postby AlekB on 07/19/2012, 9:07 pm

Blenders UV unwrap system is fast and fairly solid. A UV map is stored in an OBJ file and you can also save the layout as an image so that you can paint on it in Photoshop (as has been previously mentioned) Does Element 3D have procedural projection?
My Blender blog (with tutorials)
http://blenderforhumans.org
AlekB

Postby TomPietrowski on 07/20/2012, 6:46 pm

So what did you manage to make with the spitfire?
TomPietrowski

Return to Element 3D