help with making me hold a crossbow from Element3d realistic

Everything Element 3D belongs here

help with making me hold a crossbow from Element3d realistic

Postby movieman12341 on 07/18/2012, 1:59 pm

HI
I want to make a test with me holding a crossbow from the Projectile Weapons pack. The only way I know how would be to film me pretending to hold a crossbow and animating it in my hand. However, it looks cheep as far as I know how to do it. how would I set this up??????

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!!!
movieman12341

Re: help with making me hold a crossbow from Element3d realistic

Postby Weezer on 07/18/2012, 4:58 pm

I think it would be easier just to buy or build one! You'd have to track it to your movement, rotoscope your hands and arms out and then match the lighting and shadows. You could probably make a replica for $20 of wood and a few hours in a workshop!
Weezer

Postby movieman12341 on 07/18/2012, 5:49 pm

Hi:
Thanks for your response!!!

The only reason I wanted to do the crossbow effect was to learn how to use the same technique to throw knifes etc. I don't know how to do 3d stuff.

Anyway, then how would you do a throwing knife scene or stuff like that out of your hand?

Thanks!!!
movieman12341

Postby Eyalster on 07/19/2012, 12:19 am

Just throw real knives.

What you are aiming for require a lot of work in the production/ shooting day then in the VFX software.
you need to create good tracking points, use green screen to separate between video layers and use some good camera.

But element wont really give you the answer for what you are searching, because element dont compose well with video layers (you cant really do tracking)

Try to make your element tests with object that you are not actually holding in your hands!
for example, you can make things float in the air with your jedi powers.
or you can try to replicate the guns rack matrix scene

you can even stand in the middle of guns and bullet sphere array .... just don't touch anything!!
If you'll touch it you'll break it, if you'll break it, you'll pay!
Eyalster

Postby weavermotion on 07/19/2012, 4:53 am

I agree with Weezer & Eyalster: and after you have built a model out of wood in your workshop, shot the scene, tracked the footage, the cool part would be using Element 3D to animate the Arrow being shot from the bow and flying right by the camera, maybe a slow motion shot of it zipping by like we see with bullets.

my 2 cents!
"By the art, one will know the artist"
weavermotion

Postby movieman12341 on 07/20/2012, 8:22 am

Hi:
Thanks for all your responses!!

I understand what you are talking about and I do agree that it would be much easier to use real knifes etc.

So, as far as what I gained, your saying basically to actually use a real knife and AFTER you throw it, THEN, you can animate it in 3d to do whatever you want. (stick in a wall etc.)

Again, thanks for your help!!! I really appreciate it.

movieman12341
movieman12341

Postby AlekB on 07/20/2012, 8:28 am

Here is a tutorial on this effect. For this movie (Greenside) Corridor Digital had the actor throw the knife in one shot and then cut to this shot and used a digital knife to complete the throw.
My Blender blog (with tutorials)
http://blenderforhumans.org
AlekB

Return to Element 3D