Would a GTX 670 be slower than a GTX 580 with Element?

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Would a GTX 670 be slower than a GTX 580 with Element?

Postby SethiXzon on 07/17/2012, 5:49 pm

I am aware that NVIDIA intentionally crippled the GTX 600 series' GPGPU power in order to advertise their Quadro and Tesla solutions, as well as their new Kepler framework - will my GTX 670 (overclocked a fair margin beyond a GTX 680's speeds) perform at the speed at least shown in Andrew's demonstrations?

I cannot purchase a Quadro or Tesla card; not only due to their inherently high price; but also the fact that I do often play games at their highest settings, and Quadro cards tend to be very slow in that regard.

Should I purchase an HD 7970 in the future, or wait until software such as Element have reached a level of optimization for the new Kepler compute architecture?
SethiXzon

Re: Would a GTX 670 be slower than a GTX 580 with Element?

Postby cobalente on 07/17/2012, 6:26 pm

Whatever you do, stay away from ATI if you're planning on using your system primarly with Adobe products.

The whole CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 suites run better with nvidia cards, and some features are exclusive for nvidia cards on the PC side (mercury engine, GPU rendering on AE, etc).

Also other products outside Adobe such as 3ds Max (Nvidia Mental ray, vray) and plenty of other products do support CUDA, the same can't be said about the ATI stream technology... my two cents.
cobalente

Return to Element 3D