problem with exporting from max

Everything Element 3D belongs here

problem with exporting from max

Postby roegner on 07/17/2012, 2:07 pm

Hello,
I have problem with export model with textures from 3ds max, in this case I have full textured car in 3ds max and I'll move it to element 3D, I saw tutorial about exporting models, Andrew said just export model as obj file, it's work great but I have white model without textures and I don't know how I can get textures from 3ds max to Element 3D, after export model I don't have any diffuse map files

any solutions?
roegner

Re: problem with exporting from max

Postby Dustin Hudson on 07/17/2012, 3:25 pm

Hey roegner!
Do you mean Textures or Materials? Element will import the Material slots of a model, not the Textures. Objs do not export texture maps. The model he was using, already had a UVW wrap on it, so the materials were already dialed in and loaded for that. Objs can keep uvw mapping coordinates, which means they can keep the data of where to place the map when you load it up again in your material. If you were using Texture maps in 3dsmax materials, just load those same Texture maps (jpeg or png), in to the Element materials. Sorry if that didn't quite cover your question, feel free to follow up with more info on your issue and preferably screenshots for clarification on the issue.

Thanks!
Dustin Hudson
VC Administrator
VC Administrator

Twitter: Dustinhud

Postby roegner on 07/17/2012, 4:29 pm

thanks for reply :)

I bought Element 3D for special project, for this project I bought also archmodels vol.98 from evermotion.
I thought everything will be easy, you know just export car from 3ds max to element and make great composition.

3ds max scene works great, when I hit render I get render of full textured car, but I don't have anything in material editor so I don't know how I can get materials/maps/textures from 3ds max to element.

I tried to get eyedropper and pick up maps from object but it not working.

So problem is simple, I don't know how to take diffuse map from object :(
I think solution will be very important for work with element 3D.
Element 3D is a plugin for people who are better in compositing and motion graphic, some like me, so I need help :)
roegner

Postby Dustin Hudson on 07/17/2012, 4:57 pm

I would image that the evermotion pack probably came with some texture maps somewhere. I'm not that familiar with how their products are packaged up, but there are probably some texture maps somewhere in their file structure, and you just have to find the right texture map files to load into Element's materials.
Dustin Hudson
VC Administrator
VC Administrator

Twitter: Dustinhud

Postby Rob Neal on 07/18/2012, 1:53 am

It isn't quite as simple as that.
I use MAX and some Evermotion stuff too.
What you need to do is create groups based on materials, not objects.
Most of the objects have their own materials already, but sometimes they need to be broken down, so use the rendering>material explorer to see what is available on each object. When exported to Element as an OBJ, these should come up as separate groups. If they are procedural materials like chrome or glass etc, you can use one of the materials provided in Element. If it is a mapped texture, then use the maps that come with the model and assign to the relevant slots (ie: diffuse, specular, reflection etc.)

To export from MAX to OBJ, I recommend these settings, (you can create your own Element OBJ export preset.)
obj.jpg

If anyone knows an improvement on this, I would be pleased to hear.

NOTE: The bump mapping is different. MAX uses conventional grey scale bump maps, Element uses Normal mapping, so they need to be converted - you can use the free Photoshop plugin at NVidia to do this, (unfortunately down at the moment due to hackers), or buy PixPlant, which is a useful tool, which can be used either standalone, or within Photoshop.

Hope that helps.
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Return to Element 3D