"Glitch" with the Extrude option on Masks

Everything Element 3D belongs here

"Glitch" with the Extrude option on Masks

Postby macnimation on 07/17/2012, 12:35 pm

I was playing around with the Extruding a Mask Layer after watching the Bio Hazard tutorial and I found what i can only describe as a possible Glitch?

I created a Circular white border with a Star in the middle using Photoshop CS6 and saved it as a Jpeg.
I brought it into Elements and it extruded fine but I noticed that the inner extrude of the circle did not show.

shot1.jpg

When I cut a piece out of the circle at the top and re did it, the inner extrude of the circle worked:

shot2.jpg

Is there a workaround for this?
macnimation

Re: "Glitch" with the Extrude option on Masks

Postby mattmaxwelldesign on 07/17/2012, 1:06 pm

Very glitchy for me too. I get knotches in many edges (See Nitro Circus image). I also get random back faces missing (See bomb icon).

We need a tutorial that:

1. takes an Illustrator vector shape in Illustrator (somewhat complex)
2. imports it into AE and makes it a shape layer
3. converts the shape layer to a mask
4. Links up the mask with Element 3D.
5. Debugs resulting glitches (so far for me these are numerous, making my Element 3D purchase worthless.)

Really disappointed. Grrrrr. I was counting this for a project. Now I'm late.
Attachments
ncsample5.jpg
Look at all the knotches
ncsample3.jpg
Flipped, the face
ncsample3.jpg (10.86 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
ncsample2.jpg
Note faces missing
ncsample2.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
mattmaxwelldesign

Postby honion on 07/17/2012, 1:06 pm

I'm running into the same problem, I have this logo that is like a target with concentric rings and if I paste nice neat masks from illustrator I get missing surfaces.

But if I bring in a black and white png file and do the AE autotrace function (I didn't even know about that until the biohazard logo tutorial). I get a rough mask with a lot of extra points but my render looks good.

Here are what my masks look like

Illustrator

Autotraced

MY FIX: I was able to redo my illustrator file so that I essentially had 3 shapes, the outer block and the two rings. I had previously had it as several overlapping circles which made me have to have the masks in different modes, some were add, some were subtract, some were difference. This way I have them all as difference and the render looks good.
honion

Postby mattmaxwelldesign on 07/18/2012, 7:10 am

Continued garbage. I even converted the vector to a truetype font and still got this. Lots of missing pieces. >-||
Attachments
demo2.jpg
near
demo1.jpg
far
mattmaxwelldesign

Postby OB1 Kenobi on 07/18/2012, 7:19 am

OB1 Kenobi

Return to Element 3D