Parenting one Element layer to another?

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Parenting one Element layer to another?

Postby chfilm on 07/14/2012, 3:03 pm

Hey,

since in many scenarios (let's say you want to use one duplicate of element only for highlights output for a glow or something) you need to have more than 2 duplicates of one element 3d layer, I was wondering if there was a way to link the settings of whole groups from one element layer to another via expression. It can be very painful if you change just one keyframe in your main layer and later you get some weird artifacts because in the highlights layer you didnt change that keyframe as well. It would be cool to just automate that. any ideas?
chfilm

Re: Parenting one Element layer to another?

Postby candymanjl on 07/14/2012, 4:17 pm

Through expressions you should be able to do that. You could link up positions and animations. Just depends how crazy you want to get. Some things may take more time to link with expressions than to copy and paste some attributes. You'll have to see what makes sense.

Instead of linking on layer to another you could also create some expression sliders and link all Element layers to those. That's another way to set it up.
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Twitter: candymanjl

Postby chfilm on 07/14/2012, 4:21 pm

yea in the meantime I figured that out to be the best way as well. it can get really stupid though ;)
chfilm

Postby candymanjl on 07/14/2012, 4:46 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't want to link too many features. Like you said, it will get stupid fast :)
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Twitter: candymanjl

Return to Element 3D