Import .obj file, textures do not work

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Import .obj file, textures do not work

Postby o_vermelho on 07/13/2012, 7:34 pm

I have created some 3d .obj files, and when I import them and then apply a texture, the texture renders flat and with reflections only. No bump, no diffuse, nothing.

I am super excited to import my own custom objects, but if I can't apply textures to them then it's pointless.

Any ideas on what could be going on?
o_vermelho

Re: Import .obj file, textures do not work

Postby skykam on 07/16/2012, 3:03 am

I am having a similar problem with OBJs imported from Blender. I am assuming I am not properly exporting the OBJs but haven't figured out what I am doing wrong yet.

That said,... You can get element to put textures on your imported OBJs by changing the mapping from UV to BOX. (I don't have element on the machine here so I am doing this a bit from memory and don't recall exactly where that option is on the UI - I think it is associated with menu you'll get when you select the object in element).

Hoping to get this figured out so my objects are properly UV mapped prior to import.
--------------------------
Pain is a dish best served hot. Really hot. And with jagged edges.
skykam

Postby Sebastian556911 on 07/16/2012, 3:40 am

i have a fix before you save your obj export from blender scroll down the side panel and make sure you have triangulate faces and include normals
Sebastian556911

Postby glasspixelstudios on 07/16/2012, 12:10 pm

Sebastian556911 wrote:i have a fix before you save your obj export from blender scroll down the side panel and make sure you have triangulate faces and include normals

I did the same thing and it worked for me too.

Cheers

GPx
glasspixelstudios

Postby o_vermelho on 07/16/2012, 7:08 pm

skykam wrote:...You can get element to put textures on your imported OBJs by changing the mapping from UV to BOX...

worked for me! thank you!
o_vermelho

Postby skykam on 07/17/2012, 11:22 am

Thanks Sebastian,

I was actually already doing that but I did find my problem. While in Blender making a simple test object I didn't bother to unwrap the UV vertexes for that object. I just assumed they were there automatically. Then I remembered what happens when you assume anything.

By simply unwrapping the UV vertexes before exporting the object I can then import the object into Element and when I attempt to assign textures it works!!!! ( Using triangulation, normals, and a few other options that don't seem to have broken anything )...

Time for more play. I can only guess there could be a semester long course in Element - there is that much in the way of possibility.
--------------------------
Pain is a dish best served hot. Really hot. And with jagged edges.
skykam

Postby JayDee on 07/17/2012, 3:54 pm

Sebastian556911 wrote:i have a fix before you save your obj export from blender scroll down the side panel and make sure you have triangulate faces and include normals

Sorry, I'm new to blender. Indeed I installed after release of E3D in order to make some shattered objects.
I tried to google triangulate faces but I'm still not able to find the correct sidepanel. To you have any hint where to look at?

Edit: Ignore me. Just found the latest tutorial of andrew with detailed information about exporting from C4D, 3DMax and Blender. http://www.videocopilot.net/help/elemen ... materials/
JayDee

Return to Element 3D