Text grouping pairs of letters when they shouldn't be

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Text grouping pairs of letters when they shouldn't be

Postby candymanjl on 07/11/2012, 5:24 pm

I think I set this up correctly. I have some simple 3D text that I wanted to spread out the letters then fly together. I enabled multi-object on the group then displaced and random rotated the letters.

Once I displaced the letters I noticed that I have two pairs of letters that are grouped together and fly around like they're one letter. I played with the random seed just in case it was a fluke but that didn't change anything, they're stuck like that.

After playing around a little more it seems to be related to the fonts. Some fonts group the letters and some don't. Arial is one font that does this. Actually just scrolled through about 15 fonts and it's about 50/50 things grouping correctly vs incorrectly. These are all either factory Apple fonts or Adobe fonts, not weird free fonts.

Also, at first I was animating this effect with the animation engine. Group 1 was the text displaced, group 2 was the text in place. I would get a weird ghost frame in the middle of the animation. So I would see the text in group 1 halfway through the animation (like I should) and then see the text in group 2 at about half opacity for one frame then it would be gone. By turning the animation engine off and key framing the effects in group 1 alone I got around it but it seems like a bug to me.
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Twitter: candymanjl

Re: Text grouping pairs of letters when they shouldn't be

Postby candymanjl on 07/11/2012, 5:32 pm

The text grouping is repeatable, the second issue I couldn't repeat just now. Here's a screenshot of the text grouping issue.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-07-11 at 8.26.14 PM.png
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Postby bwoogie on 07/11/2012, 8:13 pm

You will need to adjust your font tracking. then in element you can bring the spacing back together by lowering the displacement
The reset button was my idea.
bwoogie
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bwoogie

Postby candymanjl on 07/11/2012, 10:14 pm

Thanks, I'll try that out!
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Postby candymanjl on 07/11/2012, 10:26 pm

Thanks that did the trick! Little annoying to go through the extra steps but it's not the end of the word.
Just trying to learn!
candymanjl

Return to Element 3D