Element Text Extrusion Question

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Element Text Extrusion Question

Postby agion1 on 07/10/2012, 7:05 pm

If anybody can help me out, I'd appreciate it. I purchased Element tonight (wonderful plugin). I wanted to create a 3d version of my logo and animate it. The logo is two words, two colors (one color per word), same font, same size. I created two instances of Element, one word per instance. The first word is "life" and it came out the way I wanted it; I saved the styles. The second word is "documented." Since it is a longer word the plugin shrinks it so that it is not the same relative size as the first word in my logo. The second word is smaller and bulkier. Can I fix this? I figured that, regardless of word length, the produced 3d image would be the same relative size. Any advise would be appreciated.

Jonathan
agion1

Re: Element Text Extrusion Question

Postby martian100 on 07/10/2012, 8:55 pm

Im guessing here, but since each letter is a separate piece, I'm thinking you might be able to group the two words separate and shade them different
martian100

Postby agion1 on 07/10/2012, 9:49 pm

Thank you for your reply. Unless I am doing it wrong, that does not seem to work. Essentially, the longer the word, the smaller and bulkier the generated 3d text is. When placed they also exist on different planes. I've spent about 4 hours now trying. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
agion1

Postby Mylenium on 07/11/2012, 12:55 am

Don't use separate instances, use just one and assign different paths.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com
Mylenium

System Specs: Have, I do!

Postby martian100 on 07/11/2012, 3:11 am

Ya, Ive been playing with it to see how it works.
Mylenium is right...seems like using more than one Path Layer would be the logical choice here

But...

The normalization of object size is really messing things up here.
There is a option to turn off "Normalize Size" but I dont think it works. Any way.

After playing for a while with the scales I could get the effect right.

I would have expected it to be easier than what it was.
martian100

Postby agion1 on 07/11/2012, 8:07 am

martian100 and Mylenium, thank you both for your responses. Initially I tried to use different paths and could work on them individually in the Element interface, but could not figure out how to push each to the same comp--it was one or the other. If you know how to make it work, I'd like to know. I must be missing something. In any case, martian100, as you and I noted, the size thing is messing things up. Essentially, in my case, my company's name is "Life. Documented," with the "o" replaced with a film reel. I wanted each word and the film reel separate so I could animate them, especially the film reel. The logo exists as an .eps. I copied the paths and pasted them on three separate layers to create three different shapes. I then used Element as directed. I first worked on the the word "Life." and got it how I wanted it. I then saved the extrusion style. When I got the longer word ("Documented" minus the "o") and applied the extrusion style, the text was bulkier and smaller. When I applied the style to the single reel, it was wafer thin. I too tried playing with "normalize size" and such. I could not get anything to work for me. I am inclined to think there are some bugs not yet found, but I would like to know for sure. If anyone working at VC sees this post, is it possible to get clarification? I imagine there are a number of people who will want to work with logos that have parts that need separate animation and colors and will purchase Element to this end. They will need to know if the plugin fits the bill before purchasing.

Again thank you two guys for checking out my post and replying. If I learn anything new, I will update this post.

Jonathan
agion1

Postby mass43 on 07/11/2012, 11:16 am

I had the same problem today it seems like a bug. When you save the bevel preset, it's looking different from one text to another depending on the length of the word. Itried also with mask generated from text layer and it does not fix it.
mass43

Postby agion1 on 07/11/2012, 12:59 pm

Thanks for chiming in mass43. It is good to know that others recognize the issue and are trying to work to the same end.
agion1

Postby martian100 on 07/12/2012, 4:35 am

agion1 wrote:But could not figure out how to push each to the same comp--it was one or the other. If you know how to make it work, I'd like to know. I must be missing something.

Ya it all depends how you group it.
I'll run through everything in case I'm mistaking your issue

1. Make your 2 Text layers
2. Add Element to a Soild
3. Add your two Text layers to Element "Custom Text and Masks" paths
4. Enter Setup
5. Press Extrude TWICE
6. On one of your extrusion Models, Set Extrusion "Custom Path" to "Custom Path 2"

Two options, Ill explain both...
A) Use seperate groups (Preferable!)
or
B) keep them on the same group (Stupid Way)

A. 1. Select "2" and unset "1" on one Extrusion Object
A. 2 Press OK
A. 3 Use Element Group 1 and Group 2 options to control position and sizing
A. 4. You may need to finesse the bevel and extrusion setting too to get it to look right

B. 1 Keep em both on group 1
B. 2 Press OK
B. 3 Set ..."Group 1" >> "Particle Replicator" >> "Particle Count" to 2
B. 4 Scatter on the X-Axis to seperate
martian100

Postby agion1 on 07/12/2012, 10:58 am

Thanks martian100! I'll check it out this evening! I appreciate it.

Jonathan
agion1

Postby kk5hy on 07/12/2012, 1:51 pm

edit: never mind it was my mistake

I'm having a problem when I put two text layers.
It seems I can only see one or the other, but not both at the same time.
When I select my two layers as you describe then go to extrude, I only see one of the layers. If I press extrude again, it just duplicates the same layer.

Am I missing some setting?

Thanks,
Jake
kk5hy

Postby agion1 on 07/13/2012, 5:51 am

EDIT: Nevermind. I did not pay attention to depth of field being on.

martian100:

Thank you for the steps. It works. The re-sizing is a bit of a hassle, but hopefully VC will work it out. As a note, do you notice any resolution issues with text? The logo in my comp is not as crisp as I would like once I mess with the sizes.
agion1

Return to Element 3D