Problem to link Optical Flare to E3D Element

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Problem to link Optical Flare to E3D Element

Postby claude101141 on 05/22/2020, 1:27 am

Good Morning
I'm Trying to link the exhaust thrust made with Optical flare, to my Element 3D Spaceship. I followed two tutorials without success. When I pan the camera in any direction the flare stay at the right place on the ship.....In the end there should be 9 flares to be linked to there 9 respective exhausts. Where is my mistake?
Thanks for any help.
Attachments
screenshot_20200521_113259.jpg
Claude
claude101141

Re: Problem to link Optical Flare to E3D Element

Postby claude101141 on 05/30/2020, 3:12 am

Good morning

I'm a bit surprised that more than 40 people checked my request and there is a total disinterest to my problem. Thanks a lot for the lack of help. Of course I'm not a professional and this probably explains this attitude...
Anyway I'm still trying to solve my problems.
I have now applied to the letter Andrew Kramer's tutorial (Jet Contrails
Create smoke trails with JetStrike & Particular:http://www.videocopilot.net/flightschool/jet_contrails/) which seems to correspond to my aim. Instead of a smoke I try to apply to the exhaust a flame liduified.
I observe from the beginning this problem from which obviously results the final one.
When I create with Utilities the NULL ELEMENT prepositioned at the place of the exhaust, I get exactly this null position and when I move the spacechip, the Null follows and stays in place.
Andrew creates then a GROUP NULL in the object as to have everything move null elements included when he moves the aircraft if my little brain cells have understood his explanations which are always perfectly precise and clear. This should most probably be at the level of my 78 years old cells!
So I did the same.
Now when I move my ship with the Group Null, my Element Null looses it's position at the exhaust its original position. WHY?
May be someone will have the explanation and solution to the problem. Is it asking too much....
Sorry for the sarcasms, but I've been struggling to solve this problem, searching the web for similar examples for more than a week and feel quite frustrated. Of course this is a hobby but learning has always been a hobby either professionnaly in my active life as a financial executive as now as a retired guy who tries to fulfill a very deep sense of loneliness during this horrible and tragic Covid confinement in France.
Thanks in advance
Claude
Attachments
screenshot_20200530_114602.jpg
Claude
claude101141

Postby TGlinskas on 05/30/2020, 8:43 am

I'm sorry that you didn't get a response sooner. Unfortunately since the site has not updated much in the last few years, people don't check in very often - especially those that are the most experienced/helpful. So, hopefully my suggestions are timely enough. With that said...

I just checked the tutorial and followed the directions. The nulls and particles tracked just fine. So, the problem is likely to be in your setup. Make sure than when you're placing your emitter nulls that you have "Align to Surface" selected. Next, reposition the null as needed so it fits where you want it to be by moving the camera for better view, not the object null. Create the point light, copy the position of the smoke/fire null and paste it to the light. Then link the light to the object null and you should be good to go.

So, just to be sure, align to surface when creating the particle nulls position, reposition by rotating the camera for a better viewing angle, copy null position to the light and finally link the light to the object null.

Please let me know if this worked for you. If not, I'll try to get things working for you.
TGlinskas

System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2160.hotfix)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 32707MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 25.21.14.1935
GPU RAM: 6144MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 1660 (100.0%) (GL Interop)

Postby claude101141 on 05/30/2020, 1:19 pm

Hi TGlinskas,

Thanks for your infos; I'll recheck that. I'm viewing your reply a bit late as I was watching the SpaceX launch. Quite amazing. I'm really lucky to have watched all those stages of the space history from their very beginning in the late 50s.

As far as my problem is concerned, you speak of "emitter"; I don't know if you're aware that I'm not doing exactly what Andrew is doing in his tutorial. I use as exhaust flame a optical flare from Videocopilot addon.

My problem is that although I have exactly done as you say, I positioned the Null object centered to the engine's exhaust after creating with the Element 3D Utilities option, and done the same to create the Group Null for the Ship; when I repositionned the ship as to have a better view before aligning my optical flare, the Null object moved and is no more attached to its initial place to the ship. So when I install the flare, it is no more attached to the ship. I also used the positioning device to set the null object at the right place as you say.

I'm wondering if there is not some kind of problem in my program setup.

I'm using Win10 Pro, I have a 4 cores intel 2.5Gz and 16Gb memory. I use an Asus HD 7950 graphic card with a memory of 3Gb. I'm still using After Effects 2018 as I don't want to change version in the middle of my project.

I Hope these precisions may help in your diagnostic. Of course it"s not a problem to hand over the project if you judge it useful. There is no commercial aim in it whatsoever. If you wish we can comunicate directly by email (mine is jvdesuit1@free.fr)

Thanks
Claude
Claude
claude101141

Postby hans123 on 05/30/2020, 4:50 pm

Hello Claude,

I just read quickly.
If I understand that correctly, you want to link 9 flames (optical flare) to the corresponding engines.
You can use 'Generate 3D Position'.
On the 'Null objects' (Element Position 1 to 9) you can then link the flames.
Please see my attached video.

Hope this is helpful.
Hans
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] link to.mp4 [ 2.76 MiB | Viewed 457 times ]

hans123

Postby claude101141 on 05/30/2020, 10:32 pm

Good morning Hans

Thanks for your clip. Actually that's what I've done from the véry beginning; the problem is that when this is done and whether I complete the job by creating a group null or not as soon as I move the spaceship the flares stay behind just as if there were no nulls attached to the ship. I don't understand why.

Is it possible that the use of VC Optical flares is not compatible with what I want to do? Should I use instead the built in flare from After Effects itself?

Thanks
Claude
Claude
claude101141

Postby claude101141 on 05/31/2020, 2:22 am

Hello again

Here are clips showing the problem I encounter:
I have:
1st I created a Null with E3D group 1 Utilities and positioned it precisely in front of the engine exhaust.
2d I have created a solid and applied to it the Optical flare from VC and applied a liquify effect to get the shape of the flame I wish to have.

3/ I created a clip first moving the whole image with [b]the camera tool as to get a view from close up to full view[/b] of the ship and the engines. As you can see while the view angle increases, the ship and the Null go further away and the flame seems to move up to the camera when in fact its position remained unchanged. It did not remained linked to the Null!

4/ I created a second clip this time using the Camera Zoom; again while zooming out the same problem occurs.

Obviously there is something wrong as from multiple examples and tutorials I've watched, especially Andrew's mentioned previously, the null should remain attached to the ship and the flare should be linked to the null and move with it whatever movement I apply or use of the camera zoom is done.

I hope these examples explain the problem I'm facing and is unable to solve or explain.

Thanks
Claude
Claude
claude101141

Postby hans123 on 05/31/2020, 2:39 am

Hello Claude,

Flare:
Source: 3D

Link the flare position (x, y) to the 'Null Object' position (x, y, z).
Now once again link the flare position (z) to the 'Null Object' position (x, y, z).
Since only the z-position should be linked, you change the
Value of the expression 'transform position [0]' to 'transform position [2].
Create a 'Group Null', no problem.
Please see my video.

Hans
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] link flare_2.mp4 [ 3.56 MiB | Viewed 451 times ]

hans123

Postby claude101141 on 05/31/2020, 8:53 am

Hi Hans
I think I have found out the problem; there seems to have been a problem while installing Optical Flares after I transfered my programs to my SSD drive under win 10; Any flare I choose appear in After Effects without the Z position! That must explain the problem I encouter. I will re-install the addon and keep you posted when done so have tried again to set up my exhausts.
Claude
Claude
claude101141

Postby claude101141 on 05/31/2020, 12:18 pm

Hi Hans,

How stupid of me, I forgot I could declare the flare as 3D element! I'm going to see how I manage the problem with that option and keep you posted.
Claude
Claude
claude101141

Postby claude101141 on 06/1/2020, 2:11 am

Hello again Hans

At last thanks to your kind help I have solved my problem. The only thing that seems impossible to solve is to apply the liduify effect which is completely distorted and practically invisible at the end of the camera dolly. Anyway I'm not sure if in real situation there could be such an effect. I'll check with the recording of yesterday's SpaceX Dragon arrival to ISS I made on youtube. The last adjustments they made to their position resulted in jets emitted by their boosters and it could be kind of effect to try to do in my project.
If you have any suggestions to better my clumsy work feel free to tell me if you have any time to spare with.
Many thanks
Claude

[ Play Quicktime file ] Test FLARE 1 and Warship.mp4 [ 4.49 MiB | Viewed 418 times ]

Claude
claude101141

Return to Element 3D