UV mapping Adjustment

Everything Element 3D belongs here

UV mapping Adjustment

Postby stefancargoski on 04/26/2019, 9:59 pm

Hi forum.

I'm currently practising UV mapping, and getting god results, but would like to achieve better results.
trying to adjust on a Torus a jpeg image I added on a background in Photoshop, then imported it into AE making it custom texture map.
I notice when the UV repeat settings are at 1.00, I notice a line going around my torus ring. When I set the UV repeat settings to 0.00, the line goes away,
but so does the text on the map I'm using. So my question is, how to have the text/map on the torus without the line which seems to look rather odd,
The settings with 0.00 look more realistic and natural.

Thank you.
Attachments
LOTR.jpg
vcp-02.jpg
vcp-01.jpg
stefancargoski

System Specs: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
ASRock M3A790GXH/128M
16.00 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Re: UV mapping Adjustment

Postby star+circle on 04/27/2019, 12:17 am

I seems likely the line is mostly coming from using the same texture as a bump map. Make a separate clean bump map which only has the text in it, instead of using the full texture with the gradients.
star+circle

Postby stefancargoski on 04/27/2019, 1:49 am

Ok, so I tried a few times to get the bump map to look good, and seems like a limited result.

One is with 100% default which the text seems bumpy, so I lowered the bump to 10% (Im using JPEG UV Maps not PNG, PNGs make awful mess) but then the text seems too weak. If I'm limited with options, then I can live with the UV map having the line going around the torus which I posted originally because it looks much clear. If there is another technique Ill try that too, Ill await for your response.

Thank you.
Attachments
VideoCoPilot-3.jpg
stefancargoski

ASRock M3A790GXH/128M
16.00 GB

Postby star+circle on 04/27/2019, 4:41 am

That's not a clean bump map. You may have the "compress textures" setting on in Element (Element effect controls>output>sampling and aliasing) or then you're saving the bump map with a relatively low jpeg setting.

(Ideally you would use a normal map, but that requires some program which can generate such.)
star+circle

Postby stefancargoski on 04/27/2019, 7:09 pm

I tried many ways to achieve a good result. so the best way I found, a little bit limited but still good enough for what I'm after was, just using
the diffuse UV map like you said with clean colour background, but with text. And does not make a line in the torus. This is the result, basic UV map only with diffuse, I also added on another model, environment, glossiness, reflectivity, and experimented different ways to make it more realistic as possible.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
video-co-pilot-C22.jpg
stefancargoski

ASRock M3A790GXH/128M
16.00 GB

Postby star+circle on 04/28/2019, 12:07 am

Yes, that's the idea. The metallic look should come from the reflections, not from a diffuse map. You can pump up the reflectivity of the material to between 40-100% and add glossiness and reflectivity maps (seamless!) to give the surface some variance. Metallic reflection color should be approximately the same as the metal color.

HDRI environment maps will make a massive difference in realism as well. Free ones exist.

Note that if your UV mapping scale settings are anything but integers, you won't get a seamless result even with a seamless texture as it won't match at the edges at anything but integer settings, i.e. exact multiples of the map size.
star+circle

Postby star+circle on 04/28/2019, 12:36 am

Backlight HDRI, Pro Shaders 2, couple of extra lights, glow and contrast as post effect.
(Can be done without Backlight and Pro Shaders, but certainly easier that way.)

one ring.jpg
star+circle

Postby star+circle on 04/28/2019, 12:42 am

Speaking of UV mapping, there's an (almost) hidden feature in Element: you can adjust the UV mapping scale separately for each texture slot, so you can mix differently scaled UV maps if need be.
star+circle

Postby stefancargoski on 04/28/2019, 3:00 am

Firstly, that ring you designed is awesome, looks sleek and realistic.

Also there isn't a tutorial on the web which I hounded days trying to find on a ring or torus shape, maybe within the year if you find the time, you can do one for the community which would benefit on UV mapping technique. I thought there was a setting somewhere within element which scales the UV map, but no luck locating it. 3D element is like a labyrinth with settings. Can you post a screen shot or link for that secret UV scale setting?
stefancargoski

ASRock M3A790GXH/128M
16.00 GB

Postby star+circle on 04/30/2019, 1:32 am

Thanks!

It's pretty well hidden. You need to go to the scene setup and an individual texture slot dialog. You have UV repeat and UV offset settings for each texture channel which can be individually adjusted.

The Element UV mapping options are pretty much just presets that you have little control beyond selecting the UV type. For any detailed UV mapping you need 3D modeling software. I do most of my UV mapping in Blender. Not the easiest of subjects.

texture UV adjustments.jpg
star+circle

Return to Element 3D