Anchor Point maintained for illustrator paths?

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Anchor Point maintained for illustrator paths?

Postby Anomaly on 09/30/2018, 9:48 pm

Hi long time element 3D user first time poster I love this program .
I have a problem however... whenever I import paths from illustrator into After Effects masks to use as custom extrude paths in element 3D I never have the path maintain their Anchor Point.
I don't know if they ever had an anchor point but I was wondering if there's somewhere I could find a way to maintain a relative Anchor Point that all the parts from my complex logo stem from into element setup screen .
I always have to realign them which is kind of painstaking any help would this would be great!
hank you
Anomaly

System Specs: Windows 8
Intel i7
64 GB
Thx 970 ftw

Re: Anchor Point maintained for illustrator paths?

Postby ctarv419 on 10/15/2018, 6:35 am

The only thing that might help simplify your set up of your logo a bit would be to put any paths that are always going to be rendered using the exact same materials on the same layer, that will cause them to be one mesh in Element. When you bring a new custom path into Element the object extruded from it is always going to load in at the origin. To my knowledge there is no way to make it load in at a different point relative to other objects in the scene.
I really miss being able to have an Avatar : (
ctarv419

Twitter: ctarv419
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2160.hotfix)

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor
RAM: 65410MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: TITAN Xp/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 24.21.13.9836
GPU RAM: 12288MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: TITAN Xp (100.0%) (GL Interop)

Postby star+circle on 10/16/2018, 1:58 am

Another strategy is to combine all paths that you will extrude in the same way, i.e same depth and extrusion, no matter their color, and create custom texture maps using the illustrator image as a base,that map flat in XY over that set. Might be more work than aligning things, but it can simplify other things.
star+circle

Postby star+circle on 10/16/2018, 2:05 am

Another option: You can add tiny square masks at the diagonally opposite corners at the same location on each of the mask layers.This will force positioning the paths in the same place but then you will have to deal with making the tiny extruded boxes disappear if you want to move the layers and the camera freely through the animation.
star+circle

Return to Element 3D