Best place to find 3D models?

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Best place to find 3D models?

Postby chrisal on 03/30/2018, 10:11 am

Newbie question...

I've spent countless hours now trying to find models on Turbosquid (OBJ files) only to purchase expensive models and find out they only have 1 material (like a global material, the whole model changes - even if it's broken up in a few pieces in mesh mode they still are all linked to the one same material) inside of Elements 3D V2, or that they can't be imported with the textures (MTL). Some models that I've found have worked, but most haven't. I just don't know what to "look for" when buying them?

Please, does anybody know of a website that sells 3D models where you can find models (or filter them) that work specifically within Elements 3D?

...or does anybody have any info to give a newbie about what specific things to look for when purchasing 3D models for Elements 3D (aside from OBJ file)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
chrisal

Re: Best place to find 3D models?

Postby JPT7505 on 03/30/2018, 1:36 pm

Realistically element is a band aid for those not getting into a true 3d program. I would suggest you learn the basics of a true 3d program even a free one like blender. This would allow you to edit models in order to properly bring into Element.

Turbosquid really is the largest place for models, some do say element compatible but element is small compared to what the majority of people use and need for models.

Now I think element is great and I do use it but it can only do so much.
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby chrisal on 04/4/2018, 11:47 am

JPT7505 wrote:Realistically element is a band aid for those not getting into a true 3d program. I would suggest you learn the basics of a true 3d program even a free one like blender. This would allow you to edit models in order to properly bring into Element.

Turbosquid really is the largest place for models, some do say element compatible but element is small compared to what the majority of people use and need for models.

Now I think element is great and I do use it but it can only do so much.

Alright, thanks a lot for taking the time to write this! Believe it or not this helps quite a bit :)
chrisal

Postby dHoward on 04/4/2018, 3:00 pm

You might look into DAZ 3D for free models, including people and clothing. The software is free, and the beginner model packs are free. The models can be converted into .obj files which can be imported directly into Element 3D, or into another true 3D modeling program. (I use 3DS Max, which is free if you are a student or a teacher.)

https://www.daz3d.com/home

But JPT7505 is corret when he points out that Element 3D is not a true modeling program.

Chris Friesen has a YouTube channel, and has posted a couple tutorials showing how he combined models from DAZ 3D and Element 3D.

Here are a couple links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQGdydXxn8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hWtwAKwtEY
dHoward

Return to Element 3D