Unable to generate 3d position?

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Unable to generate 3d position?

Postby ashcam on 04/25/2013, 5:49 am

Hi there, I've got a number of element objects in my comp I'm trying to generate a 3d position on one of them but I keep getting the error "surface not detected" - I've tried on different objects and different positions, very occasionally it will work, but if I try again it fails.

Anyone got any ideas why I'm getting this?
ashcam

Re: Unable to generate 3d position?

Postby erel96 on 04/28/2013, 9:45 am

I have this problem too.
erel96

Postby rocketpanda on 04/29/2013, 4:48 am

I'm getting this as well. I'm using the metropolitan buildings pack and have a grid of buildings with a textured plane underneath them. I can generate a 3d position on the plane but not on any of the buildings?

In a single E3d layer I've got a group dedicated to the common buildings, a group dedicated to the ground plane and another group dedicated to a single hero building. Currently it's only the ground plane that registers the 3d position request. Basically it seems that the chosen point ignores all the building objects and drills down to the ground plane that it _can_ see. No idea what makes it different?

Help - this is pretty important!
rocketpanda

Postby Andrew Kramer on 04/29/2013, 7:45 pm

What GPU do you guys have? We are looking into a bug on certain ATI cards on OS x...
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Postby matthiasiam on 05/3/2013, 11:39 am

Any resolution on this. I have a ATI Radeon card and I am getting the "Surface Not Selected error"
matthiasiam

Postby Dustin Hudson on 05/3/2013, 3:26 pm

Could you please post what specific card you have and the rest of your computer specs, what os your using, etc.
Dustin Hudson
VC Administrator
VC Administrator

Twitter: Dustinhud

Postby CreateGreat on 05/6/2013, 10:50 am

I'm also having this issue with the metropolitan buildings, but only occasionally, it seems. On one scene I get the error, which contains various buildings set to a "plane" replicator shape on group 1, and then other buildings on group 2 set to a "layer" replicator shape. I created a new scene and generated a bunch of buildings on a "plane" replicator shape on just group 1 and it's working... very odd.

Running AE CS6, Windows 7 with a Geforce GTX 560 SE graphics card, latest updated drivers. Also same problem happening when running the scene on my Macbook pro with Radeon HD 6770M graphics card. I don't think this is a card issue, it's a glitch with Element. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with using the "Layer" replicator shape, but I reset the group that was using that and switched it to a "plane" shape and the issue was still happening. Even when resetting all groups it still wasn't working. But when I created a new solid layer and applied Element it started working again. It was as if the previous Element layer became corrupted in some way...
CreateGreat

Postby kazuneda on 05/16/2013, 6:27 am

I got the same problem with my Helicoptere, it would generate in some part of the helicoptere, but not everywhere
kazuneda

Postby CreateGreat on 05/16/2013, 7:32 am

After some more experimentation, I was able to sort of come up with a solution but it was a pain. Basically, the instance of the Element effect that I was using in the scene with the Metropolitan pack became "corrupted". So I made a note of all the settings that I had, position of my groups, models used, particle replicator types, etc. I then deleted the Element effect, re-added it to the layer, and then applied all the settings I had before, and the 3D position worked fine. So the issue seems to be, why did Element become "corrupted"? Could it be because I was working on the same scene on a PC and a Mac, switching back and forth between the two?
CreateGreat

Postby kazuneda on 05/17/2013, 8:13 am

:D

after hour of test, i found the way how to put the 3d null, you choose where you want to select the 2d position then click on generate, then you got the msg " surface not selected" click ok then with the camera tool just move a little bit around where you point the 2d position and click again on generate then it works for me !!!

:geek: :geek:
kazuneda

Postby kazuneda on 05/17/2013, 9:07 am

I tried on my macbook pro win7 64 bit, seems like it work just when u dont change any setting in element et make the 2d position first
kazuneda

Postby modoc on 05/22/2013, 8:49 am

GTX 660 TI, win 7, 64bit.

I have had some of the same issues. When generating a null position, after clicking generate, the red box or null position shows up on the other side of the screen, it does not attach itself to the original target position. I originally thought it was a scale issue, and have tried several actions to correct it but to no avail.
It's gotta be a bug, a gremlin in the works. I'm Looking forward to the next update.
modoc

Postby kazuneda on 05/28/2013, 6:45 pm

to me, if i want to add 3p position to make it works, i have to do it at first, otherwise after that its a little bit tricky way to do in my previous messages
kazuneda

Postby kazuneda on 05/29/2013, 4:36 am

i notice that if im on REnder mode Draft , the 3d position wont work, be sure that you are on preview mode to add the 3d position
kazuneda

Postby drkimca on 01/19/2014, 12:56 am

I think I have it figured out.

When you Select 2D Position you must click on an region where there is some element being generated inside Element3D.

If you click into an area that is transparent through, or has a layer that is not opaque to Element3D, you get the error message.

I will experiment to see if there is a workaround, in case you want to set your null to another area.
drkimca

Postby avfxartist on 01/21/2014, 11:58 pm

Hi, Peeps,

I registered just so I could post about this coding error. This code quirk got me very angry from wasting so much of my work-day, it made me question my sanity and ability to follow step-by-step visual tutorials. ::deep breath::

I am using a Mac Pro, 2013, with 64 GB of RAM, 2 hex cores at 3.06 GHz, and a NVIDIA QUADRO K5000 (Kepler) with 4 GB of VRAM; all the latest updates to CUDA for Mac OS 10.8.5, etc.:

I was getting the same error about 'unable to generate 3D position" or 'surface not selected," etc.

I was P****D! I was following everything EXACTLY, about 12 times, re-starting, cleaning folders, etc...

Here's how I fixed it, and it's so weird, it should really get a look for the next update!:

One CANNOT be using 2 monitors at the same time!

That's right forget about having a decent studio workstation, if you're using more than one monitor, you are forced back into ONE to get what you need. I won't go into how much of a **** that is with dense project files...

First of all, after you have everything where you want it, turn off that E3D layer and dupe it (in case it gets corrupted - mine did with all these points that had no nulls - which one cannot delete - yes, another quirk that needs to be resolved), and with the new E3D layer, make sure you have RESET your AE workspace back to "ALL PANELS" -- BEFORE you attempt to generate these nulls.

The main composition window MUST be in the center, with AE all in just ONE PANE.

NOW, go ahead, and select your point(s) on the comp window where you want your null(s), generate it/them, and once they are in your timeline, then you can go back to a 2-monitor workflow.

I swear, I lost nearly a full day on this b.s. under a tight deadline, and the simplicity with which the nulls were being generated in the tutorials was driving me insane. Turns out, you just cannot use 2 monitors - even with a beast of a machine. ::sigh::

It took me 10 seconds, then I was done...after 10 hours of trouble-shooting hell.

I need a drink now.

Thumbs-up if I helped save anyone a day like this at work.
avfxartist

Postby gweglarz on 03/5/2014, 9:18 am

Has this ever been fixed? I have Win 7 64 NVidia Quadro 4000 with latest drivers and E3D 1.62.
gweglarz

Postby gweglarz on 03/5/2014, 9:31 am

I think I found the problem. When you create the 2D position, the crosshairs have to be on a surface on the Element object. I was trying to create just behind one of the jet missiles instead of slightly on the missile. After creating it, you can move it off.
gweglarz

Postby cjngsart on 07/16/2014, 1:16 pm

I have solved this issue for me! I am running Windows 7 with a Nvidia K4000 graphics card.

I was attempting to create a null on the missile from one of Jet Strike plane models using the utility function in Element 3D.

It was not working for me because my Comp view was set to 4 views instead of 1. While it looked like should work in the main view I would receive the error "Surface not selected".

I Switched my Comp viewer to be 1 view instead of 4 and I was able to create the null where I wanted to.

Hope this helps someone!!
cjngsart

Postby JBT27 on 11/10/2014, 6:36 am

cjngsart wrote:I Switched my Comp viewer to be 1 view instead of 4 and I was able to create the null where I wanted to.

Hope this helps someone!!

Weird but true - thanks! Just been struggling with this in a quad view - switched to a single view and it works fine.

Presumably this has been reported and logged several times in the year and more it's been a problem - either it'll be fixed in V2, or there'll be a note in the docs.
JBT27

Postby JBT27 on 12/12/2014, 8:38 am

Using E3D 2.0.3 and I just hit all these problems again - 'surface not selected', nulls created away from the 2D position - and tried the single monitor 'fix' again, but this time not having it help.

Then I opened a new comp, and found it worked. Watched the tutorial again - couldn't see any difference.

I just realised - I like to set up big scenes, like this topo map I'm doing right now, using Custom Views, as opposed to the Active View, and then also the ortho views. I expected to be able to use any of these to set up nulls using this tool. But actually I find it works, one monitor or two, doesn't matter, only when working through the Active View. That's exactly how Andrew is working in that tutorial. There's no mention of it there or in the manual.

So far, 2D positions set through a Custom View don't work - they are either in the wrong place, away from the 2D point, or I get that surface error, but the placement works fine looking through the Active View.

If that's how it works, then the manual needs updating to reflect that.
JBT27

Postby DJOzmanMJ on 06/23/2016, 6:07 pm

I know this is an old post, but I just countered this problem today and I want to share it with those who still might be stuck with it.

So, the SOLUTION: You can in fact generate 3D nulls from different viewports (e.g. Top view). However, when you've got MULTIPLE CAMERA'S then make sure you set your view to ''Active Camera'' and then place the camera you prefer to the top of your composition (because that's how the ''Active Camera'' feature works). When you do this, Element no longer says it can't find a surface and you're all good to go.
So, give it a try! :D
DJOzmanMJ

Unable to see the default 3D object on viewport.

Postby Karuna_sharma on 04/17/2018, 4:47 am

I'm using GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. 16 gb ram and i% 6th generation PC.
Is 1050Ti is not compatible for Element 3D v2.2.02147?
Karuna_sharma

System Specs: 16 GB Ram, I5 processor

Postby hans123 on 04/18/2018, 11:15 pm

Hello.

the 1050Ti is on the supported Graphic Cards list, see here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kqQ ... 85dDag/pub

if you have problems, you can also ask videocopilots support: support@videocopilot.net

Hans
hans123

Return to Element 3D