Element 3D V1.5.5 Public Beta release

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Element 3D V1.5.5 Public Beta release

Postby Andrew Kramer on 02/13/2013, 1:56 pm

Element 3D V1.5.5 Beta Build
Welcome to the first Video Copilot Public Beta for Element 3D Customers. The purpose of this beta is to assure performance and fix bugs before releasing publicly. Please help us by testing and reporting any issues in our Beta Forum. We appreciate your help and feedback!

IMPORTANT: Some Expressions inside old projects will no longer work due to parameter changes in this new version. However these changes will help assure that future updates are NOT affected and maintain proper compatibility. Other project settings should not be affected but be sure to save backups as a precaution!

New and Changed Features :

Added file relinking options:
When a model or texture file is missing since you last saved your project, Element 3D will prompt you with options to locate the missing files. You can also select this feature from the File menu while inside Element 3D. This feature works by selecting a folder with the missing files and Element will scan for matching files and relink them.

Note: We recommend storing assets in the Video Copilot folder since the plug-in automatically searches your Video Copilot folder for missing files. Any 3D assets that are placed inside this folder will be relinked automatically. \Documents\VideoCopilot\

Added planar and polygon mapping types:
Under Model Surface & Mapping for each object we have included planar surface mapping and Polygon mapping. This allows surfaces to be mapped linearly using the planar mode and per triangle with the polygon mode.

Find 3D Position Utility:*
Element 3D will Automatically generate the 3D position of any point and create a null object at the selected position in 3D space. To use this feature go to the plug-in Utilities for “Generate 3D Position” and select a 2D point with the point control and then choose Generate. This will create a Null Object at that point in 3D space. Now you can place other 3D layers or particle systems at this point. There is also an option to orient the Null to match the surface direction. This is not dynamic so the position will be created when the utility is executed. if you use this feature with the Group Null be sure to parent them to the Group null as well.

*Current BUG Note: The resolution must NOT be set to auto when using this utility or Element may crash. We are working on this bug...

Unique Parameters Names to improve expression linking:
We have added the group number (1. 2. 3. etc.) and renamed some parameters to allow pick-whipping and expressions to be unique. This will help avoid expression problems when upgrading to future versions of Element 3D and disqualify the need to ALT pickwhip parameters. Plus parameters in the timeline will be easier to distinguish when editing. If you see a parameter conflict let us know.

Added option to control DOF/Motion blur sub-sampling:
Under “Sampling & Aliasing” we have included an option called Sub-sample Post Effects. This will render the Pixel DOF or Glow for every motion blur sample or sub-frame. So if you have 8 motion blur samples, the Pixel Dof or glow will render for each sub-sample. It is slower to render this way but more accurate for fast motion. SSAO already sub-samples for each motion blur sample and is not affected by this parameter..

Automatically Create a Null Object for each Group:
Inside each group is a folder called “Group Utilities” where you can now create a Null Object for each group that will control the groups transform properties inside the comp window. This will create a NULL at the current replicator position so all expressions will be on the Element 3D layer. You can also generate one for the world transform position as well. Be sure to delete Nulls using the plug-in's "Delete" Button to avoid expression errors.

Object Render Sorting control:
We have also added the option to sort the render order of objects based on distance from camera in addition to the fixed order. This will allow objects with lower opacity to sort more accurately. Keep in mind with depth sorting objects that intersect will pop as the order changes due to animation or camera move. This mode is also a bit slower than the default mode that draws objects in a fixed render order. This option is under Render Settings.

BUG FIXES:
Fixed baked animation controls on different groups.
Fixed DOF glitch on OSX
Fixed baked animation not working as replicator shape.
Fixed OBJ export crash on OSX.
Fixed slower renders caused by Sub-sampling post effects such as Pixel DOF and Glow. We added this as an option but changed it back to the original method.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Reporting Bugs for this version should be done inside the Public Beta Forum:
viewforum.php?f=41

Thanks again!

Download PC Installer
http://www.videocopilot.net/uploads/Ele ... _Patch.exe

Download Mac Installer
http://www.videocopilot.net/uploads/Ele ... _Patch.dmg
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Re: Element 3D V1.5.5 Public Beta release

Postby Icemak on 02/13/2013, 2:29 pm

Wow.. the Generate 3D null from the 2d point is excellent! (and Create Group Nulls!)
I am running this on my 280GTX from over 4 years ago, and the performance is better.

Still trying to break it though :)
Icemak

Postby melat3mg on 02/13/2013, 2:44 pm

When I create a new comp and try to load a model I either get the "After Effects warning:Unknown exception", or just a hang..depends on the model. Primitives load but none of the VCP expansion pack models. If I open an existing project, everything loads but when I open the Element interface, I get the "After Effects warning:Unknown exception" again...

MacPro OSX 10.6.8
AE CS5
RADEON HD 5770 GPU
melat3mg

Postby Andrew Kramer on 02/13/2013, 2:48 pm

If you have a bug or problem, can you start a thread on the beta forum please so we can track bugs easier. Please include info on what version you are using, if older versions were working. Thanks!

Beta Forum:
viewforum.php?f=41
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Postby julioc on 02/13/2013, 3:37 pm

I would really like to be able to place the assets folder on a drive that isn't the operating system drive, due to it being ssd and kind of small..

Is there a way to do it, I see above you suggest to keep it in documents, but I don't know how to move it without breaking element?
julioc

Postby latinguy72 on 02/13/2013, 9:07 pm

Big thumbs up on the additional mapping options. Haven't tried it yet but that will be a welcomed feature!
latinguy72

Postby Maxweel on 02/14/2013, 12:28 am

Alright, now we know why Elementary was never mentioned by VC:

Capture.PNG

Quite shameless ... thanks for the beta though.
Maxweel

Postby Fabian on 02/14/2013, 12:52 am

Maxweel wrote:Alright, now we know why Elementary was never mentioned by VC:

Quite shameless ... thanks for the beta though.

Hmm, I don't get it. Why is that quite shameless? You mean the create Group Null option?
Fabian
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: speedbreaker

Postby Maxweel on 02/14/2013, 2:01 am

Fabian wrote:Hmm, I don't get it.

What'sthere not to get, Fabian? A short summary of what happened since Element was released last year:

- July: Element is released
- end of July: I post a script to set up shadows on the Element 3D forum
(http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=89458&hilit=shadows&sid=b16f45bb1028641a20ccb27b74666838#p304797)
- August, I form a small team on the VC forum and we work on several scripts to attach groups to Nulls, create shadows and reflections. In the meantime, VC ignores all our mails and PMs and releases a tutorial about fake shadows done manually. I did the same thing using the script in seconds:
http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=89458&hilit=shadows&start=25#p305712
- end of August: the scripts are compiled in a donation-ware called Elementary: http://aescripts.com/elementary
- September: several tutorials on how to use Null objects with parenting and custom anchor points to create forward kinematics: https://vimeo.com/51353002
Some demos of inverse kinematics too: https://vimeo.com/51807150
And even inverse kinematics using several plugins: https://vimeo.com/52152826

In the meantime, VC still ignores all our mails and the numerous posts about Elementary posted on the Element forum. 6 months later, a beta of Element gets 2 new buttons that have been part of Elementary from the very beginning:

Unlike VideoCopilot, we did all this simply to help people, not to sell stuff. Some people have found Elementary so helpful they told me they were waiting for Elementary to support Element v1.5 before updating Element.
It's hard to believe VideoCopilot doesn't even consider helping those trying to help them.
Maxweel

Postby Fabian on 02/14/2013, 2:56 am

ok I get it, sorry. I haven't followed the whole Elementary progress on the forum, I only saw the website once. Now it makes sense.

I'm not writing on the behalf of videocopilot here, so everything I write is just my personal opionion.
I absolutely understand your situation so no offense but what would you do if you had developed Element?

Would you recommend a 3rd party script for your own plug-in, that uses workarounds to provide functionality that you are planning to implement? OR would you focus on adding those features yourself and make them exactly like you want, keep the performance of your plug-in and keep it easy for the User! And what if the script had a bug? It would fall back on you.

I talked to Andrew about custome pivot points and group controls even before the first version of Element was released! And that's the great thing about Videocopilot, no feature gets released before it's 100% thought out and matches the workflow of the plug-in.
Fabian
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: speedbreaker

Postby klaus brandenburg on 02/14/2013, 3:14 am

I fully agree with Kevin and have to add something to the discussion.

I completely understand that VC made an awesome product and therefore want's to see some appreciation. I'm affraid that with all our requests and sometimes even misinterpretations of this plugin, this aspect gets out of focus sometimes. So if I haven't said it yet: Element is an awesome and fast plugin that enables us to do fancy new stuff for our customers that wasn't possible before or required way more time.

That being said I understand your desire not to share this appreciation with lots of guys jumping on the bandwagon in order to make a living out of your work. So selling Model Packs ready for Element (by money or subscriptions) might be something you don't want to promote and this is quite understandable.

On the other hand you got contributors like Josh Burns, Kevin Schires and many other guys who stick their heads together to figure out new ways to enhance your product. These people do this for free in order to support the community and the product. So if for example Josh Burns shows us how to do some awesome stuff that Element never was expected to do and he wishes that i.e. Element would support animated masks or even shapes you have two choices. a) Rely on the "unsupported feature" argumentation or b) give the man the tools in order to see what he might come up with next. Same goes for Kevin, who did an awesome job that make VCs implemenetation of nulls "too little, too late".

Sorry Josh for using your name here but since Andrew thinks you're a genius I had to make you my example.
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Postby Maxweel on 02/14/2013, 3:14 am

Of course I'm not the first who thought about this, but we were the first ones to actually do it after a month of heavy testing. Even if VC had that it mind and got beaten to it, the script is basically free and doesn't endanger Element at all, quite the opposite.

Despite all this, any bug in the first versions of the scripts fell back to me and were sorted out as fast as possible. And even though Mettle and Red Giant mentioned Elementary a few times in blogs/tweets/tutorials I don't think they ever had to complain. VC still has a chance to mention the shadows and reflections BTW.

Anyway, don't think I'm crying about all this, VideoCopilot's silence about that said quite a lot so I was expecting something like that. Plus Elementary got me the attention of 2 concurrent plug-in developers so I really can't complain.

I don't want to hijack the thread any more than that, you're free to answer me by PM though.

EDIT: I should actually mention that some of Element's bugs fell back on me quite a few times ;-)
And if you're really into workflow enhancement then I suggest you try Elementary's anchors at least once, there's a couple things that Element's new system simply won't do + it works the same way for most 3rd-party 3D plugins out there.
Maxweel

Postby klaus brandenburg on 02/14/2013, 3:37 am

Fabian wrote:And that's the great thing about Videocopilot, no feature gets released before it's 100% thought out and matches the workflow of the plug-in.

I have to disagree. Elements first approach to deal with custom pivot points (new feature in 1.5) without some precise controll in form of orthographic views is not 100% thought out and guesstimating isn't really part of my workflow. Now with the already proven solution of parenting to a null object inside the comp VC doesn't add anything new and renders their "new feature" useless. Also the "create a null" thing is better off as a script than inside the plugin because if you ever plan to make small changes to the code you always have to provide a new patcher. Updating a script can be done without delivering a new build of the plugin that could possibly introduce some new issues.
klaus brandenburg

Postby latinguy72 on 02/14/2013, 8:30 am

Sounds like you are a littlepissed that VC didn't acknowledge your contribution to Element 3d. Yeah that sucks but that's the world we live in. It's a capitalistic world - dog eat dog. I've learned to never expect a thanks from anyone, that way I won't get disappointed when I don't get one.
latinguy72

Postby DominoGray on 02/14/2013, 2:00 pm

Find 3D Position Utility:*
Element 3D will Automatically generate the 3D position of any point and create a null object at the selected position in 3D space. To use this feature go to the plug-in Utilities for “Generate 3D Position” and select a 2D point with the point control and then choose Generate. This will create a Null Object at that point in 3D space. Now you can place other 3D layers or particle systems at this point. There is also an option to orient the Null to match the surface direction. This is not dynamic so the position will be created when the utility is executed. if you use this feature with the Group Null be sure to parent them to the Group null as well.

Nice ! Sure its gonna be useless with Metropolitan, it was so hard to place an object in the space, more if it was a 2d layer (Like some green screen footage)
DominoGray

Postby roymaya on 02/14/2013, 8:50 pm

So what's the verdict on the beta? Anybody take the plunge and give it a run?
roymaya

Postby melat3mg on 02/14/2013, 10:24 pm

Has anyone using OSX 10.6.8 AE CS5 installed the beta? It won't let me load any VCP models (from the model packs) and I haven't heard from VCP if they can reproduce. (I did post this issue on the beta forum....)
melat3mg

Postby atrox on 02/15/2013, 8:56 am

melat3mg wrote:Has anyone using OSX 10.6.8 AE CS5 installed the beta? It won't let me load any VCP models (from the model packs) and I haven't heard from VCP if they can reproduce. (I did post this issue on the beta forum....)

I know this is no help but... Running this preview on CS5.5 with no issues so far.
atrox

Postby Velvet Hammer on 02/15/2013, 9:07 am

So far, so great Andrew. Thanks to you and your team.
DOF bug is squashed.
Velvet Hammer

Postby JCdeisgn on 02/19/2013, 12:29 pm

Awesome! DOF Pixel Blur bug fixed on Win7 x64, AE CS5.5, QUADRO 2000. Thanks VC!!!
JCdeisgn

Postby latinguy72 on 02/20/2013, 1:16 pm

Ok, finally got around to installing the 1.5 beta. I was excited about the additional texture mapping types but my excitement quickly faded - ha. The polygon mapping type is not what I thought it was. I was hoping you could select materials and textures and apply them to a selection of polygons like you can in other 3d programs but that's not the case. What you can do is apply a texture to every triangle in your mesh. Why would you want to do that? I have no idea - lol. Other than for some kind of special effect it seems like a pretty useless feature. Has anyone played with that option? Tell me I'm missing something. Maybe the Video Copilot team can shed some light on it's usefulness.
latinguy72

Postby klaus brandenburg on 02/20/2013, 2:57 pm

latinguy72 wrote:I was hoping you could select materials and textures and apply them to a selection of polygons like you can in other 3d programs but that's not the case.

Just in case you didn't know, Element is not a 3D programm so there's no use in comparing it with other 3d programs. I could imagine diamonds looking nice with the polygon mapping.
klaus brandenburg

Postby latinguy72 on 02/20/2013, 3:43 pm

Well it is a 3D program just not a full fledged package. I'm realistic and don't expect it to have every feature, but you have to admit that would be a cool feature to have. It would solve a lot of problems that people currently have with mapping textures. And it would be more useful than this polygon mapping that's been added. Of course I have a feeling this is not something that's easy to implement or else they would have done it, so I'm not holding my breath.
latinguy72

Postby klaus brandenburg on 02/20/2013, 3:56 pm

latinguy72 wrote:Well it is a 3D program just not a full fledged package. I'm realistic and don't expect it to have every feature, but you have to admit that would be a cool feature to have. It would solve a lot of problems that people currently have with mapping textures. And it would be more useful than this polygon mapping that's been added. Of course I have a feeling this is not something that's easy to implement or else they would have done it, so I'm not holding my breath.

I know 10 things I would prefer to a static setting I can easily prepare inside a 3d app.
klaus brandenburg

Postby latinguy72 on 02/20/2013, 4:32 pm

Maybe it's not a useful feature for you, fair enough, but I'm sure there's plenty of people that would find it useful. And sure you and I have access and the knowledge to use a 3d package but not everybody else does, which is a good portion of the people that have invested in Element 3d.
latinguy72

Next

Return to Element 3D