3D Bump render question

Compositing and Motion Graphics

3D Bump render question

Postby Szarin on 11/30/2008, 4:35 pm

This question is regarding the 3D bump tutorial from several months ago. I followed the steps as per the tutorial and came up with some amazing results. However while using the rendered footage in Adobe Premiere i've come across a problem i have not seen before and unable to think of what is causing it, and thus not able to fix it.

I am hoping some one here might know what is happening and how to fix it. The picture on the left is a frame of the AE render of the 3D bump tutorial, its crisp and clear. The frame on the right is taken from Adobe Premiere after its been rendered. It is blurry, foggy and very un-cool.

Click here for the picture, did not want to spam the thread

I have tried a variety of things with no success, ive tried applying broadcast color effect in both AE and PR thinking because its red it might have issues with the shades i was using. I've tried using different settings when creating the project in PR. I have tried using adjusting the fields (lower first, upper first, progressive). I have tried using the maximum color depth.

I will try and list as many as the settings i can think of ...

General
Editing mode: DV NTSC
Timebase: 29.97 fps

Video Settings
Frame size: 720h 480v (0.900)
Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9)
Fields: Lower Field First

Capture Format
DV Capture

Video Rendering
Maximum Bit Depth: Off
Preview File Format: DV NTSC
Compressor: DV NTSC
Color depth: Millions of colors

thanks in advance guys.
Szarin

Re: 3D Bump render question

Postby Ben Wotton on 11/30/2008, 6:12 pm

when leaving After Effects, did you use the render queue or the 'export' feature?
Ben Wotton - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5171540/
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby Szarin on 11/30/2008, 7:36 pm

i used the render que, format=video for windows, embed=project link, post-render action=none, channels=rgb, depth=millions of colors, color=premutiplied(matted)

I've never had a problem using the settings above, i use a pc and just found working with the avi files although un-compressed worked well with PR up to this point.

any input you have is greatly appreicated.
Szarin

Postby Shayder on 12/1/2008, 3:09 pm

I would try rendering out an image sequence from AE then importing that into Premiere. Try .tif sequence or .png.

When premiere brings stuff in it conforms it and I think this is what makes it not good.

If it was all created in AE then I would export out using frames and not fields.
Shayder

Postby Szarin on 12/1/2008, 8:08 pm

shayder, i will try using .png or .tiff and let you know the results - thanks for the tip.

richardb, i checked the render output options - it was set to recompress maintain data rate. i unchecked that. and the screen shot your seeing is the working file inside premiere. I've rendered each time i change something but the frame you see on the right is the quality premiere renders every time.

As i said, ive never had a problem with any of my other video files/animations ive used premiere for. I really like the 3d bump animation and its driving me nuts not being able to render a good version. i will try a few more things, but if you guys come up with anything else id love to hear them, thanks again.
Szarin

Postby Ben Wotton on 12/1/2008, 9:39 pm

Hope it works out for you. Post the results :)
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby Szarin on 12/14/2008, 5:00 pm

update: i tried your suggestions recompress off, and output to png, although there was some degradation of the final render, it was not nearly as bad as the original attempt.

It turned out well, and the client was impressed, so in the end, thats all that really counts.

thanks guys for your help on this one. really appreciate it.
Szarin

Postby Ben Wotton on 12/14/2008, 5:14 pm

Glad it worked out for you.
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Return to After Effects