Effects that don't scale when uprezzing..

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Effects that don't scale when uprezzing..

Postby Herbie on 02/5/2011, 12:59 am

When uprezzing a project, there's a bit of work to do in order to keep the same look at full resolution..

For example, mask feathers. If you double your comp size and solid size with a mask, in order to get the same look at double the resolution, you'll have to double the mask feather.

So the question is.. what are all the effects that don't uprez nicely?

As of right now I know the following: (effect on left, effect attribute on the right)
masks - feather
all blurs - blurriness
fractal noise - scale
turbulence noise - scale
turbulence displace - size

Any effects found will be greatly appreciated!
Herbie

Re: Effects that don't scale when uprezzing..

Postby Angie Taylor on 02/5/2011, 2:18 am

Hi there,

There are too many to mention without the risk of omitting some so it's hard to create a definitive list. However there is a script that can help if you simply have to make a project bigger. Incidentally, as you've discovered, making projects bigger is a big headache so always good (if you have the opportunity of course) to create your projects at the biggest size you think may be required. If there's ANY chance of HD requirements then use HD, even if the immediate requirement is only for SD.

Having said all that, there are always times when you need to up-rez. Updating old projects for showreels, Adapating other old projects for new jobs etc. So, if you simply HAVE to do it, there's a couple of scipts that will work. In the Demo Palette (can be opened by going to File > Scripts > Demo Palette) there are two gems, one is called 'Scale Comp' and can be used to scale your entire composition, keeping all layers in the correct position. The other is called 'Scale Selected Layers' which will work on a selection within a comp, again, maintaining their position relative to each other.

You need to make sure your preferences are setup correctly to use scripts in order to use these. to do so, go to Preferences >General > Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network.

You will still need to go through the somewhat painful process of editing effects but this will save you a lot of work with layers etc.

Hope this helps a bit! :-)
cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor | Art Director | Creative Director| Artist

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
Facebook Page - Angie-Taylor/118378194869002
Angie Taylor

Twitter: theangietaylor

Postby Ben Wotton on 02/5/2011, 2:35 am

If you turn the collapse transformation switch on (the little sun next to the pixel motion switch)

It will let your solids etc. upres properly. ;)
Ben Wotton - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5171540/
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby 2dpostp on 02/5/2011, 10:53 am

i did something like this not that long ago. the lesson i learnt was work in hd and master out at sd or the chosen res. upscaling the comp is a real pain as you have to go into all your solids and change the size, all your mask will be wrong too
2dpostp

Postby Herbie on 02/6/2011, 5:54 pm

Alright.. let me rephrase a bit and give out a bit more information here..

At the company I work for we work at half rez for efficiency purposes. Once the look is defined and the motion tests are approved, then we will go back and render out a full rez version of all the needed layers and uprez the comp accordingly.

The issue with the built-in scripts in AE don't actually scale the compositions correctly. They will adjust the scale of the solids but not actually making a new solid the final dimensions. A solid with a 200% scale will not correctly track flares and will create banding even in 16 bit color depth.

In order to correct this issue, I have created a script that will go through every keyframe in every layer of every composition in a project and scale the effects listed in the original post.

Instead of running into an effect that won't scale properly every now and then, I figured I would just ask everyone to list some of the effects where they've had to manually go back in and scale.

If I can get a big enough list going, I will be more than happy to release the script.. I just want to make it as robust as possible before then.
Herbie

Postby gregalan on 02/6/2011, 6:24 pm

Hi Herbie. Sorry, this is a bit off topic but you have peaked my curiosity. Are there advantages in working in half rez size comps and then scaling them up - as opposed to working in full size comps with the Composition Window and Ram Preview Settings set to half resolution until final approvals? Honestly curious.
gregalan

Postby Herbie on 02/8/2011, 12:01 am

Your suggestion with the half rez ram preview would be the way to go if you're working with camera footage or similar projects..
I work for a broadcast graphics company where almost everything is generated out of a 3D program first. The difference in render times between half rez (where we don't have to worry about optimized reflections/refractions/indirect illumination/etc) and optimized full rez is tremendous. We are able to present motion tests and make the client's revisions much faster.
The average beauty pass at half rez takes anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes per frame where as an optimized full rez beauty pass can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes per frame.
Once the motion test is approved, then we can set off the full rez renders that can take their time rendering overnight. While all of the 3D passes are rendering, we'll uprez the comps so it'll be ready when they're done.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit gregalan.
Herbie

Postby gregalan on 02/8/2011, 3:46 pm

Hi Herbie, that makes immense sense. Good luck with the script and thanks for the reply.
gregalan

Return to After Effects