Depth of Field with CC Particle World?

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Depth of Field with CC Particle World?

Postby TIAGO on 08/3/2008, 8:18 pm

Does anywone know a some method to do a DOF in AE using CC Paticle World?
TIAGO

Re: Depth of Field with CC Particle World?

Postby AtheneWins on 08/3/2008, 9:08 pm

Tiago, I will respond to that because others may not have the patience to answer
questions like this.. now understand it's not because anyone wants to ignore you..
but sometimes when people have reached a certain level of understanding with AE
they seem to forget about where they started and dismiss anyone who isn't discussing
the latest thing they are studying as irrelevant and stupid.. this is just the way
of thinking most people have. I, however understand that teaching one another is
the only way to success for all.. so..

the answer is you can not do depth of field with cc partice world, motion blur yes but DOF: No.
Now if you wanted to say do motion blur, click on the settings within the plug in and then on
rendering and you can set up those variabele.. if you want DOF go with trapcode particular.
Threat from Patrick Otten:
Look ... we're gonna have to out you from the forums. I see that what I warned you on "Is this guy serious?" is in your signature now ...
AtheneWins

Postby Motionworks on 08/3/2008, 9:43 pm

AtheneWins wrote:Tiago, I will respond to that because others may not have the patience to answer
questions like this.. now understand it's not because anyone wants to ignore you..
they seem to forget about where they started and dismiss anyone who isn't discussing
the latest thing they are studying as irrelevant and stupid.. this is just the way
of thinking most people have.

That's a bold statement, and perhaps not in the spirit of the forum! Keep in mind that many people may not answer a question simply because they don't know the answer...

I have been considering an answer for this also. While Particular certainly would be a quick solution, perhaps Tiago doesn't own Particular. There may be a creative way to "fake" DOF, perhaps using compound blur or lens blur, combined with multiple instances of CC Particle World...

JD
John Dickinson
Broadcast Designer / Adobe Ambassador / Red Giant & Zaxwerks Demo Artist
Motionworks
Motionworks

Postby VFX-Phil on 08/3/2008, 10:14 pm

if I'm not mistaken, Andrew did something like what motion works is talking about in the video streams hd collection, he had made two copies of his particle layers, and scaled them up/down to simulate being further/closer, then added a lens blur to them to simulate a rush of particles with a focus point.
so unless you are wanting the particles to move from focus into an unfocused region you could just do a seperate layer with some blurring to fake it.
_VFX-Phil
VFX-Phil

Postby TIAGO on 08/3/2008, 11:05 pm

Thanks Motionworks! I agree with you about the spirit of forum! I tryed combinated a multiple instances layer with particle, the CC Particle World has a option to do a fade or change the color of particle under the distance of the Camera, if were possible do a particle sphere (in case) not faded, the effect was very simple using the lens blur, but Particle World dont gerate a particle don't faded, them i leave the idea!
if anyone has a idea please post!
thx one more time!
TIAGO

Postby TIAGO on 08/3/2008, 11:16 pm

AtheneWins wrote:Tiago, I will respond to that because others may not have the patience to answer
of thinking most people have. I, however understand that teaching one another is
the only way to success for all.. so..

the answer is you can not do depth of field with cc partice world, motion blur yes but DOF: No.
Now if you wanted to say do motion blur, click on the settings within the plug in and then on
rendering and you can set up those variabele.. if you want DOF go with trapcode particular.

If you dont have the asnwser or the topic is very "PRIMARY" for you or even you have the asnwser, you dont need post if you want man!
TIAGO

Postby europa on 08/4/2008, 3:00 am

I guess creating your DOF is the only way to go on CCPW.
Alessandro De Micheli / Video Editor / VFX / Motion Graphics / I/T and security
obiettiva produzioni - Rome, Italy / http://www.obiettiva.it
Not dead yet.
europa
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby maltaannon on 08/4/2008, 3:43 am

I wouldn't be myself if I didn't investigate one of the "impossibles" :) So I did. My spider senses told me that it is possible, or at least doable.

Heres the recipe:
1. Create you CC particles the way you want them
2. Duplicate the layer. I'll call it CC Depth
3. Change the solid color of CC Depth to white.
4. In the particle settings change the color map to Origin Constant
5. Go to CC Particle World Options > Rendering
6. In the Depth Cue section select Fog and set it's color to black
7. Set the distance to 3 or whatever value you like. The larger the value, the less depth.
8. Create a new neutral gray later (RGB 127 127 127) and put it below CC Depth.
9. Precompose Neutral Gray and CC Depth layer. Call it Depth Map.
10. Switch Depth Map visibility off.
11. Apply Lens Blur to your oryginal CC Particles layer.
12. Configure Lens Blur.

See attached file for example. Probably needs some tweaking. It's not perfect, but may work for some cases depending on what you're trying to achieve.

The whole idea behind this technique is to create a grayscale depth map. Therefore you might want to change the neutral gray layer to white, or black, or other grayscale values.

I hope that helps.

Make sure to check out my site to get more technical with AE.
Cheers
Attachments
CCPartWorldDof.zip
CC Particle World with DOF example.
(9.46 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Happy AfterEffecting everybody!
▪▪▪ maltaannon.com - Free After Effects Video Tutorials
▪▪▪ Instant help on any project - http://maltaannon.com/maltaannons-hotline/
maltaannon

Twitter: maltaannon

Postby TIAGO on 08/4/2008, 5:20 am

yeah man! work´s very well! A Cool method to make the DOF more big is icrease de distance of camera of de gerate of the particles and then use the zoon of camera! :D thx for helps!
TIAGO

Return to After Effects