Trouble importing mpg4 footage into AE

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Trouble importing mpg4 footage into AE

Postby LordEdington on 08/18/2009, 6:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble importing footage into After Effects.I have a new camera which is a Samsung HMX104 which record in mpg4 format. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's in H.264 format.

I can play it in Quicktime fine, but when I transfer it into AE I get the following error...

"Error (4) reading frame from file (86:2)"

It does import the file, but the same error message is repeated whenever I click on the file or try to create a comp from it. It also shows the footage as having a frame rate of 0.396fps and a resolution of 26x96 (4.92).The wierd thing is that it will sometimes work fine with no problems, but other times it won't. I'd say 70% of the time I'll get the error message and the rest I won't.

The camera records at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 and both options give the same issue.

I had the previous moel of Samsung which recorded in the same format and I never had this problem with it.

Can anybody think what could be going wrong? Not sure if this infor helps, but I'll include it anyway: I'm using a dual core pentium laptop with 4GB of RAM, I have the same issue in Premiere and I'm using CS4.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
LordEdington

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Stencil_Media

Re: Trouble importing mpg4 footage into AE

Postby n0m0reSilence on 01/4/2010, 6:56 am

Try to change the file extension from *.mp4 to *.mov

I had to use this "workaround" for the Divide Frame Plugin (GPU Decoder) in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and it is still working without any problems in both programs.
n0m0reSilence

Return to After Effects