Create a Breathtakingly Awesome Rain.....

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Create a Breathtakingly Awesome Rain.....

Postby skovilles on 04/3/2009, 12:36 pm

Good grief. Has anyone done this tut? Maybe I bit off more than my computer can chew. Just wondering if making some proxies would help, or if the way to go would be to pre-render some of the layers? I'm only at step 81 of part 1 and the estimated render time is 8hrs. :shock: I've got a home built 2.7 G dual processor with a 512 mb video card. Using 20% 3G ram. Not having done anything this huge, is there a recommended procedure?
Or do you just bite the bullet?

http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/vfx/create-a-breathtakingly-awesome-rain-scene-part-1/
skovilles

Re: Create a Breathtakingly Awesome Rain.....

Postby mjt57 on 04/3/2009, 1:04 pm

I would be interested in some suggestions also. I completed part 1 and it gives an estimated render time of ten hours. As to your question my thought was just to let it render overnight.
mjt57

Postby bwoogie on 04/3/2009, 1:39 pm

While working you could switch to OpenGL. Other than that I don't really have any suggestions.
But I have seen that video but didn't know there was a tutorial, so thanks for pointing that out.
The reset button was my idea.
bwoogie
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bwoogie

Postby skovilles on 04/3/2009, 1:47 pm

Heck of a tutorial. I turned off the "update" button and switched to half render. I'll see what open GL does. 8-)
skovilles

Postby liambauckham on 04/4/2009, 6:03 am

i may have to check this out
liambauckham

System Specs: OS 10.12.6
2.2ghz i7-4770HQ
16gb RAM
1.5gb Intel iris pro

Postby COArsenal on 04/5/2009, 12:07 am

Completed the tutorial last week. It is an awesome tutorial....not only in size (200+ steps) but also in result.

I love the look of my finished product. It took probably 10 hours worth of work to get it all done. Most of it was RAM preview issues thanks to all the particular layers and the useage of form in the particular layers.

Here some hints I can give you:

1. After making sure that your raindrop is showing up in the particular layers....turn the particles back into the sphere preset. If you don't...you'll sit and sit and sit watching AE try to catch up. Turn on the custom particle at the very end to ensure that you like where the particles are falling.

2. DROP THE PARTICLE COUNT!!! The number of particle used by the tutorial creator was WAY TOO MANY! I think I ended up using half...and that was probably still 25% too many.

3. DO NOT USE THE CAMERA MOVE IN THE SECOND STEP! I lost over an hours worth of work with this. It is completely unnecessary. When I applied the RAM previewed everything at like step 180 everything was screwed up. Had to start all over at step 145 (thankfully I had saved a copy at that point since the move seemed strange to me). If you use a camera move in this step then don't use the numbers provided. Use your own. However, take it from someone who has completed the tutorial....just skip it! The finished product looks nothing different.

4. You will have to just know that unless you have a super-computer....that this project is going to hog resources like nothing you might have done before. You will have to be patient and wait on things to load and wait on RAM previews that seem like they will never preview.

That's it I think. Good luck. It is an awesome effect. I used the exact pictures that the tutorial creator used but I have seen several that have used their own and expanded slightly. Creativity....wish I had more of it!
COArsenal

Postby JesseG on 04/5/2009, 11:05 am

I have never seen that video before. That was absolutely amazing. The music made it ahah
JesseG

Postby makproductions on 04/5/2009, 11:37 am

Nice tutorial... needs a video tutorial though... anyone want to make one?
makproductions

Postby Kencho on 04/6/2009, 8:03 am

Note: Haven't tried this tutorial. That said, the video looks awesome, but Form seems to be eating a lot of processing and is only noticed in the final scene. I would suggest to do a proxy render of the raindrop layer to enhance the performance when working with Particular (if not creating a sphere with a noise modifier and render a video in Blender/MAX/whatever). To me, Form is a bit overkill here.
Kencho

Postby Topher on 04/6/2009, 8:52 am

yeah it is an awesome tutorial... I would just say PNG Sequence Render then proxy those as much as you can, but overall you are going to have a HUGE render.

Things like that, I just let go overnight.
IIII Topher Welsh - Video Editor | Compositor | Visual Effects | Motion Graphics
IIII http://www.visualFXtuts.com - NEW Visual FX Tutorial Listing Blog
IIII Toe-Fur.com - Personal Blog
IIII If you need some 1-on-1 help PM me.
Topher

Twitter: toe_fur

Postby Steven_LS5 on 04/7/2009, 3:47 am

WOW... thanks for sharing... this tutorial looks pretty cool... I'm looking foward to the next weekend ;)
Steven_LS5

Postby Jinks on 04/19/2009, 7:35 pm

Hi all! How do you put video on curved surfaces, like at the begining of this tutorial when the clouds reflect on the glass building? I have tried the corner pin effect, but it seems to work best on flat surfaces. Mapping or compositing video on for instance city scrappers is a popular effect I see a lot on Tv for pay per view boxing promos or big sports events. Could you please help me on how to achieve that effect.
Any help is highly appreciated.
Jinks

Postby Ringmaster on 04/19/2009, 10:19 pm

hadn't seen this before, have a feeling it will be a fun project!
Ringmaster

Postby Jinks on 04/20/2009, 8:11 pm

Anyone? please help!
Jinks

Postby skovilles on 04/27/2009, 5:06 pm

Hi Jinks,

You might be better off making your own post, with an example. This one has kind of fizzled out, a new subject would peak more interest. I'm interested. LOL
skovilles

Postby RampageTV on 04/28/2009, 2:59 pm

makproductions wrote:Nice tutorial... needs a video tutorial though... anyone want to make one?

maybe the after effects god himself?
andrew should definitely make this into a video tutorial,
the stuff is awesome!
RampageTV

Postby Tension media on 04/28/2009, 8:39 pm

Yea I got to step 31 and it was like going to take 3hrs, so I just stoped.
Tension media

Postby videocolover on 04/29/2009, 8:09 am

Great tutorial..Yet....why in gods name would he sit there and type all of that?
A video Tutorial would have saved him hours...not to mention more enjoyable to learn.
I never got why anyone would TYPE a tutorial in the year 2009.
Ya got to LOVEEEEEEE Video Copilot
If Andrew had to TYPE his tutorials, he would at VIDEO TUT# 6 :mrgreen:
videocolover

Return to After Effects