Expression to Toggle Layer's Visibility

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Expression to Toggle Layer's Visibility

Postby DreamPainter22 on 01/15/2019, 12:59 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've been looking around for an answer to a simple question and haven't been able to find anyone who seems to know so I thought I'd come here. I am trying to figure out if it is possible to link a layer's visibility (not opacity) to some other controller like a checkbox for example? I am designing a character animation toolkit and want to be able to turn layers on and off with a controller so you can switch between different outfits and hairstyles ect. The outfits were built in illustrator and brought into AE and then converted them to shape layers. However the shape layers get really slow when all 7 outfits are loaded in. And changing opacity values does nothing to increase working speed. If only one layer is turned on at a time then the speed is manageable.

I could keep them just as Illustrator shape layers to improve the speed but that isn't the best option for the application of this project as it is going to multiple users who would all have to be referencing the same Ai files. Shape layers eliminate the need for the Ai connection.

So I apologize for the rambling but hopefully some of this made sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
DreamPainter22

System Specs: OS: OS X 10.10.3
CPU: Intel Core i7-4771 3.5 GHz
RAM: 32768MB

GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M OpenGL Engine
GPU RAM: 4096MB

Return to After Effects