Squishy tomato effect?

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Squishy tomato effect?

Postby Mike_D202 on 06/21/2017, 2:32 pm

This is an oddball kind of question but I'm working on a fan film, I have AE CS6 (3d element too) with a .obj 3D tomato model, and I need it to bounce around like the tomatoes did in the cartoon. It's probably a very simple technique that I'm about to get school'd in, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. If anybody can help me out, greatly appreciate it!

The Ghostbusters reboot is the biggest attack on 80s nostalgia since Police Academy 7.
Mike_D202

Twitter: _miked
System Specs: Rating: 7.7 Windows Experience Index
Processor: AMD FX (tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00GHz
Installed Memory RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

Re: Squishy tomato effect?

Postby ender772 on 06/27/2017, 9:39 am

Theres a cartoon show based on the Killer tomatoes...Mind blown...So your trying to implement squash and stretch in 3d before learning how to do it in 2d...well its not too difficult...stretches when jumping squashing while landing..if you have element 3d this could be achieved by animating the scale of the Null of the group...make sure object is aligned to the bottom...and if you have no idea what im talking about..then maybe you could get the tomato in a comp as a still, pre comp it then squash and stretch the pre comp of the tomato.
ender772

Re: Squishy tomato effect?

Postby jedimasta on 07/19/2017, 4:05 pm

That's principal #1 in the 12 Principals of Animation.

Alan Becker has a video series of all twelve based on the concepts pioneered by the great Disney animators Frank & Ollie. I recommend all of them, but this should get you started:

From there, like Mike says, you'll have to set up your object so that when you do your squashing and stretching, it does so from its bottom point. You can achieve the basic concept in 2d by creating and ellipse in after effects, placing the anchor point at or near the bottom center and animating the scale along the height.
jedimasta

Twitter: themediageeks

Return to After Effects