Animating a trio of planes

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Animating a trio of planes

Postby rocambole on 02/10/2018, 2:11 am

I made 3 groups of one plane each. They are inside an element I created in E3D (group 1, group2, group3). I need to make fly this trio while keeping the exact same distance from one plane to each other. (I couldn't use replicator to make the 3 because I needed them to be in a special order that I can't get with 'scatter' or other parameters). I need to get all the trio moving, but keeping the exact pattern together in the sky (sort of triangle)
If I change the element into a 3D object in After Effects (by clicking the 3D box), and then move it through the transform menu, the aspect of this trio of planes change, but not their real position. I get a fixed image of their shapes but I am not in real 3D anymore. If the trio of planes pass over me, I will not see the underside of them for example.
Is there a way to animate the trio of planes with some parameters of E3D but that keeps the exact distance and position of one plane to each other ?
Thanks by advance for an answer
rocambole

System Specs: Mac OSX After Effects 2018

Re: Animating a trio of planes

Postby JPT7505 on 02/10/2018, 2:45 am

You don't want to turn element into a 3d object. And without knowing how u want to animate it's impossible to answer your question.
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby rocambole on 02/15/2018, 1:21 am

It is not that I DONT' WANT to check the 3D box on the Element layer, it is just that when I do that, I don't get the real simulation of planes going over me (with the right under face of it). And to answer the question, my idea is to animate simply by having them far away on keyframe 1 and to have them that went over me on the last keyframe
rocambole

Postby JPT7505 on 02/15/2018, 11:44 am

Not sure if I'm explaining it. Element should NEVER be a 3D layer. So you don't want to check it as a 3D layer.

So now, to your problem.

Are they simply flying in a straight line or performing rolls etc while flying over head?

You can use 3 separate groups for each plane.
Create a null for each and as long as the spacing in between isn't changed by you, they will stay in the same formation.

And if they are in a straight line, just place the in the same group and animate them all at once, what's the problem?
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby rocambole on 02/16/2018, 11:17 pm

Thanks Jpt. I didn't want to complicate my post but I realize I should have given this important element : the planes are flying in a 360° environment. I use the VR capability of AE 2018.
If I don't turn on the 3D of the layer for my elements, when I rotate around 'myself' with my camera tool the planes don't stay at the same place in the scenery, they move (not speaking of their animation). The only way I found to have them fixed and to belong to the environment is to make their layer a 3D layer, just like a 2D layer in this 360°scenery.
As for your question about their direction : yes, they are all going straight and should keep the same distance between them. Maybe I will put on them a wiggle expression to give them little realistic turbulences, but only if this doesn't change their general spacing between them.
rocambole

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 04/16/2018, 7:23 am

If you put each plane into its own group inside Element, you can animate the emitter position for each group exactly the same way you would be animating position of layers in AE
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to After Effects