how to do a sword stab effect as in 300 or spartacus series

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

how to do a sword stab effect as in 300 or spartacus series

Postby harry1 on 10/10/2010, 8:29 am

hi everyone...am planning to make an ancient type of war scene where i have no idea on how to do a sword stab effect or spear piercing efect as in 300 movie and spartacus series >-|| ... pls do reply on this effect or can anyone post some tutorials regarding this topic :?:
harry1

Re: how to do a sword stab effect as in 300 or spartacus series

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 10/12/2010, 9:12 am

They were shot on green screen. Have your actor pretend to stab. Then shoot your other actor pretending to be getting stabbed. Add in some blood splatter in your compositing software (After Effects, Nuke, etc.) and you'll be good. You can shoot fake blood splatter yourself with some fake blood (tons of tutorials online). Or get Action Essentials from VCP; I think it has blood splatter in it.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Ben Wotton on 10/12/2010, 3:37 pm

It depends how well you want to do it.

The way I'd do it is have a sword prop with the end cut off to the depth of the stab wound, and some tracking markers on the edge. I'd then make a 3D replica of the blade and matchmove it on to the real life prop, that way your actor can react to a physical prop, and the stabber has a solid position to hold his arm (once the blade is resting on the other guy)
Ben Wotton - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5171540/
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby gfeeley on 10/13/2010, 7:33 pm

I think the effect you are speaking of is the variable speed motion of the stab itself that made the fight scenes in 300 seem so epic. For that I believe you would have to use time remapping to get the variable speed thrusts of the weapons.
You can then add the other elements previously mentioned.
gfeeley

Postby harry1 on 10/14/2010, 10:38 am

THNKS GUYS FOR THE VALUABLE REPLYS..BUT WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT IS HOW DO U PIERCE THE SWORD INTO THE ACTOR WHERE U CAN SEE THE SWORD MOVING INTO BODY AND COMING OUT FROM OTHER DIRECTION OR MAKING A SWORD CUT EFFECT WHEN U STRIKE IT TO BODY.IF U GUYS WATCH SPARTACUS THE BLOOD AND SAND SERIES YOU GUYS WOULD HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT..AND THANKS FOR THE REPLYS :D
harry1

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 10/14/2010, 11:17 am

harry1 wrote:WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT IS HOW DO U PIERCE THE SWORD INTO THE ACTOR WHERE U CAN SEE THE SWORD MOVING INTO BODY AND COMING OUT FROM OTHER DIRECTION OR MAKING A SWORD CUT EFFECT WHEN U STRIKE IT TO BODY.

Dear Lord, Caps Lock man, turn it off.
And Ben and I already answered that question.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby AnkelzSB on 10/15/2010, 2:51 pm

yeah, both of their responses would work really well, I thank you guys for answering his question because it actually adds to my creativity :D
AnkelzSB

Postby RALSH on 02/20/2015, 7:17 am

Ben's is the best answer.
I have been wondering this myself but how do fake the End of Flash Gordon when Ming gets spiked!
You want a little "buckle" though to make it a bit more real insted of the old high school camera swish pan and cut to the prop blade already embedded.

CAPS LOCK. Always funny. But here, it's a dead giveaway that somebody's got a render on…! :D
RALSH

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects