How to achieve a cool cinematic look?

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

How to achieve a cool cinematic look?

Postby TheFlak36 on 11/28/2016, 12:36 pm

I work with my director in a small company in Saxony making boring image films but we also make our own independent films. We recently added a SONY PXW camera that records 4k to our equipment. We took a look at screenshots from expensive Hollywood productions and talked about the clarity of the picture which is something we want to have in our next movie (we shoot again next year). Like in the examples I give you here. The pictures are beautiful, clear, with no noise, like a painting. What's the trick to pull this off?
Attachments
Rey_Battles_Kylo_Ren.png
the-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-luke-evans.jpg
TheFlak36

System Specs: Processor AMD Phenom X4 965 3,40 GHz
Memory 16GB GB
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Re: How to achieve a cool cinematic look?

Postby plae57 on 11/28/2016, 1:52 pm

TheFlak36 wrote:What's the trick to pull this off?

Money. LOTS AND LOTS of money.... And with the money you buy great camera's lights, and glass. Add to that a great cinematographer, director, editor, sound design, colorization department, VFX department. I think that about covers it....

The reason million dollar movies have that look is the million dollars. For the equipment side, you can google up the camera's, lights, and glass that were used for a particular movie, so you can feasibly ($$$) duplicate the equipment side. So now you have some raw footage and this is where the years of experience in editing, coloring, sound design and vfx comes in. Without the experience and skills you can come close, but I have yet to see an independent movie that is on par with a blockbuster
plae57

Postby TheFlak36 on 11/28/2016, 1:59 pm

plae57 wrote:
TheFlak36 wrote:What's the trick to pull this off?

Money. LOTS AND LOTS of money.... And with the money you buy great camera's lights, and glass. Add to that a great cinematographer, director, editor, sound design, colorization department, VFX department. I think that about covers it....

The reason million dollar movies have that look is the million dollars. For the equipment side, you can google up the camera's, lights, and glass that were used for a particular movie, so you can feasibly ($$$) duplicate the equipment side. So now you have some raw footage and this is where the years of experience in editing, coloring, sound design and vfx comes in. Without the experience and skills you can come close, but I have yet to see an independent movie that is on par with a blockbuster

Thank you for the reply. What you state is understandable. But I want to discuss about the picture only. No sound, no VFX, no cinematography. Just the quality of the picture. For example, if we shoot at night for a night scene, we'll get noise on the picture. So maybe we should shoot at dusk and then change the colours during post? We also have lights if we need to use some. Dollys and cranes are available too. As for the experience, I'm the newbie in the job. My director has 17 years of experience, worked both as a freelancer making his own documentary films and for the TV. Our recently released movie sold three thousand copies in less than four weeks and we continue selling to this day.
TheFlak36

System Specs: Processor AMD Phenom X4 965 3,40 GHz
Memory 16GB GB
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Postby plae57 on 11/28/2016, 4:44 pm

"No sound, no VFX, no cinematography. Just the quality of the picture."

That picture that is so beautiful went through massive amounts of post processing and VFX to be that beautiful, but if you are looking for a good starting point go out and read up on, then rent some good glass and play with that (particularly prime lenses with low f/stop). Find out why one lens is used over another in a particular situation. Then combine the good camera and good lens with some good lighting techniques and see what you come up with.

"My director has 17 years of experience" Yet he can't answer this question.... (That sounds more rude than intended)
plae57

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 11/28/2016, 9:06 pm

There is NO way you're going to get results like that in camera, it is literally impossible. So, take your camera and some lights and start playing.

There are some great workshops that could help you out:
https://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/sha ... cle/?tm=ic

https://www.storyandheart.com/academy

http://illumination.mzed.com/
Guitarboy2828

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/5/2016, 10:47 am

TheFlak36 wrote:I want to discuss about the picture only. No sound, no VFX, no cinematography.

Cinematography includes things like the choice of lighting and lenses. And that is your best starting point. If you don't work out how you're going to do your lighting, you won't get crisp, clear, "painterly" images at all. Sound and VFX can be left out of the equation, but you absolutely must have cinematography. It's literally the step you need to worry about here.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects