Can you tell me how this effect was done?

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Can you tell me how this effect was done?

Postby Stoicc on 08/7/2016, 10:10 pm

That effect at 1:46-1:49, Is this achieved using green screen? If so can you tell me how to properly compose the background ? I mean how do you emulate the changing background? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks !
Stoicc

System Specs: Intel i7 5820K
MSI GTX970

Re: Can you tell me how this effect was done?

Postby FrankyKnuckles on 08/9/2016, 10:22 pm

Hard to tell. Nice steady cam shot with rotoscoping by the looks of it.
FrankyKnuckles

Postby star+circle on 08/10/2016, 1:48 am

You can see the background switching between 1:55 and 1:56 with a fade, plus possibly a soft masked sweep from left to right as the camera turns.

I would say this is either three shots with the person on green screen separated from the two background shots, or then a morph of two shots with matching camera motion and actor performance. In any case, camera motion is used to hide the transition. Both approaches are equally challenging. Especially if you're trying to do it without a motion control rig.
star+circle

Postby Stoicc on 08/12/2016, 7:36 pm

star+circle wrote:You can see the background switching between 1:55 and 1:56 with a fade, plus possibly a soft masked sweep from left to right as the camera turns.

I would say this is either three shots with the person on green screen separated from the two background shots, or then a morph of two shots with matching camera motion and actor performance. In any case, camera motion is used to hide the transition. Both approaches are equally challenging. Especially if you're trying to do it without a motion control rig.

Yeah I agree, it seems like the other background for the normal people was shot in a supermarket, the one with zombies in the airport..it's good to know that other people came up with the same conclusion as I, kinda feels I'm on the right track in doing this.. I'll try out the green screen, I see what you mean on 1:55-1:56, it seems there's a slight change on the actor's position as well.. I'll definitely try both of your suggestion, thanks !
Stoicc

System Specs: Intel i7 5820K
MSI GTX970

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects