[Question] What's best way to achieve Cloaking Effect?

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

[Question] What's best way to achieve Cloaking Effect?

Postby FrankyKnuckles on 08/1/2016, 10:15 pm

What's the best way to create this cloaking effect in AE?

https://youtu.be/OHW2EEgX7FE?t=11

I'm thinking the electricity can be done with paths and the saber plugin after tweaking it, but what about the invisibility effect? I've seen some random tutorials on YouTube but none quite as smooth and clean is this one.

Any ideas on the best way to do this effect?
FrankyKnuckles

Re: [Question] What's best way to achieve Cloaking Effect?

Postby JPT7505 on 08/2/2016, 6:42 am

Within ae I would say precomp footage, mask the character and create a Luma matte, then you can try one of the distort effects. I personally use genarts but they're an expensive plug-in. You'd have to hopefully have a backplate created to use so he appears to.come from the background and then have the character fade in.

In terms of a 3d program it might be easier by creating a reflective and translucent material and the background as a hdri 'sky'
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby FrankyKnuckles on 08/2/2016, 9:57 am

Cool the good part is I would be using this effect on a 3d model so no need for green screen or roto work and already have a plate for the background.

What type of distort effect would create the invisibility look? Some type of displacement effect?

I know know how to use any 3d programs unfortunately.
FrankyKnuckles

Postby star+circle on 08/2/2016, 11:35 am

This was sort of a fun challenge, so I made this this morning from still image grabbed off that video.

I used CC glass for the distortion after first creating a simulated depth map for the predator.

For the materialization part I used an animated fractal noise blended with the depth map and an animated levels effect to generate a reveal track matte.

The electrical impulses are made from a single Advanced Lightning effect with an alpha barrier that forces the lightning to follow the light parts of the image.

The original film effect has plenty of hand-animated sections for the "materialization" as well as the electricity, I wanted to try and do it without having to manually animate each part.

Would undoubtedly look more convincing with moving footage, but that's essentially how I would approach it.
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Predator uncloak.mp4 [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 4213 times ]

star+circle

Postby FrankyKnuckles on 08/2/2016, 2:43 pm

star+circle wrote:This was sort of a fun challenge, so I made this this morning from still image grabbed off that video.

I used CC glass for the distortion after first creating a simulated depth map for the predator.

For the materialization part I used an animated fractal noise blended with the depth map and an animated levels effect to generate a reveal track matte.

The electrical impulses are made from a single Advanced Lightning effect with an alpha barrier that forces the lightning to follow the light parts of the image.

The original film effect has plenty of hand-animated sections for the "materialization" as well as the electricity, I wanted to try and do it without having to manually animate each part.

Would undoubtedly look more convincing with moving footage, but that's essentially how I would approach it.

That was awesome ...it looks like you pretty much nailed it :)

What exactly do you mean when you say you created a simulation depth map for the predator? Sorry I know that is probably something basic but I haven't done it before (at least I don't think).
FrankyKnuckles

Postby Farmfield on 08/2/2016, 2:47 pm

FrankyKnuckles wrote:What exactly do you mean when you say you created a simulation depth map for the predator? Sorry I know that is probably something basic but I haven't done it before (at least I don't think).

You paint one, or create one using roto (mask) layers, as I did for this setup. No need to go that detailed for a shot like this, though.

*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby FrankyKnuckles on 08/2/2016, 10:12 pm

Ok cool got that now.

I've got the object to appear invisible by using the cc glass effect, but I'm not clear on how I would do the transition.

I have on bottom layer my background plate with cc glass applied with the bump map set to the layer above it which is a 3d object. This gives me the invisibility effect, but I'm stuck on how to transition it back to visible using the fractal noise approach?
FrankyKnuckles

Postby Farmfield on 08/2/2016, 10:34 pm

If you create a noise transition you can use that as a luma matte for the transition between the layers.

Untitled Project.aep
(93.78 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Farmfield

Postby FrankyKnuckles on 08/2/2016, 10:41 pm

Thanks Farmfield that example makes sense I see what you did. I'll apply that method!
FrankyKnuckles

Postby Farmfield on 08/2/2016, 10:50 pm

Coolness. It's a 1 minute setup, so I didn't tweak anything. And also doesn't seem you need to precomp a matte like this in AE anymore, so I didn't, though I would recommend doing that - from an organisational standpoint if nothing else.
Farmfield

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects