From Photography to Video shooting

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

From Photography to Video shooting

Postby Pan-x on 05/22/2016, 7:31 pm

Hey guys, I've been learning photography for several years and I'm familiar with what makes a good photo (composition, framing, lighting, etc.).
But now I'm more interested in videos. Video seems to be a "richer" medium and convey more messages, and more popular compared to photos.
I did some recording and simple cuttings, but there's still a long way to go now that I take it seriously.

What are the differences between your experiences of taking photos and shooting videos?
Please tell me the important things i need to know for turning myself to a videomaker from a photographer.
Thanks a lot!!
Pan-x

System Specs: Windows10, 64bit

Re: From Photography to Video shooting

Postby ElDirector on 05/24/2016, 3:38 pm

Think of it like photography at 24 frames per second. The basics you learned from photography will serve you well. Now you need to learn the basics of telling a story with shots. Master, wide, medium, close, extreme closeup... learn how to use these frames to convey your message. Learn about cutting on action, the 180 degree rule, the difference between color correction and color grading. The biggest difference you'll find though is how important audio is. Even a "silent" film without dialogue will have music and sound effects. This will probably be the biggest challenge.
ElDirector

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 05/25/2016, 9:58 am

One big addition is visual weight.
I'm sure in your photography training you learned about visual weight. Someone centered in the frame looking toward the camera is balanced while someone centered in the frame, but looking to the right is unbalanced, so you should reframe to account for the visual weight of the person's gaze. The same is true in video, but you have the added visual weight of motion. If something is moving from left of frame toward the right, the shot needs to be framed to place them nearer to the left side of the frame to account for the visual weight of the movement.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Farmfield on 05/26/2016, 6:50 am

The camera side of it is basically the same, but the composition side, at least in part, is completely different. I started out as a photographer, waaay back in the day, and I'm still (at least technically) talented. But in regard to storytelling type cinematography, blocking, camera movement, etc, I don't even try. Same with the editing side of storytelling. Add to that the sound and music side of it.

This stuff is just a whole other mindset - and these areas artforms in their own right. Which is why I personally do comping and FX work instead. :D
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects