fire in the movie

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

fire in the movie

Postby fazel5333 on 01/11/2016, 9:14 am

Hi
I recently watch behind the senes of the movie "hobit the battle of five armies" and see that when the drugon attack the city they make real fire in somewhere
But i see how to add fire or explosin like action essential pake i try it and it's work well so why they make real fire somtimes ?
Really why??? >-||
fazel5333

System Specs: Ram: 4 grafic: 2 :)

Re: fire in the movie

Postby Farmfield on 01/11/2016, 7:08 pm

Smaug attacking Laketown in The Hobbit: TBOTFA was absolute overkill in regard to the fluid simulation setups Weta Digital did in Houdini. But with that said, it's not the most complicated stuff to set up, the problem lies more in having the computational performance to test setups and tweak stuff until it looks like you want it to - though it helps with the possibility to simulation in the cloud using Amazon EC2 or through Gridmarkets. :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Re: fire in the movie

Postby goku223344 on 01/17/2016, 1:29 am

if you're asking why sometimes they add "real" fire to scenes, then you're talking about special/practical effects which has its ups and downs. Usually there are a lot of reasons why they would add real fire to a scene. It could look more realistic that way, the vfx supervisor could of told them it wold be better if they were to add fire in camera instead of post, or maybe it's easier to add it in camera than in post. Us vfx artist and special effects artist work closely together, like if puppets were on a green screen. They would make and animate the puppet and we would key it out. Also stock footage, a special effects artist would make it, and we would use the asset in post. If you can't do the effect on camera then you would go to a vfx artist. If the effect is practical then you would call a special/practical effect artist.
goku223344

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects