Can someone help me achieve this result?

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Can someone help me achieve this result?

Postby FX-VFX on 10/13/2015, 9:08 pm

Hello, my name is Elliot Ritchey and I'm currently making a Metroid fan game, whether or not you know anything about it is of no importance, basically I'm trying to achieve an energy ball of this caliber inside After Effects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVmeNpuISc If you go to about 2:35 here you'll see a blast coming from the character's arm cannon, I'm trying to get a result that looks very similar to this. I've tried all sorts of things, I tried the energy ball tutorial on Video Copilot, about twenty tutorials from YouTube, I tried using an animated fractal noise layer on a sphere in Element 3D with various effects applied, etc. I just can't figure this out if my life counted on it. If any visual effects artist would care to help me on this I would be eternally grateful for the effort. Thanks in advance!
FX-VFX

Re: Can someone help me achieve this result?

Postby JPT7505 on 10/22/2015, 5:52 pm

A very quick version but should point you in the right direction.

Enjoy.

-My AE is processing an error so for some reason strokes aren't showing up so I created it in AI. But you can of course do it within AE if your stroke is working :?

You didn't state if you needed it in 2d or 3d, but this is just 2D.
Attachments
Metroid.zip
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Re: Can someone help me achieve this result?

Postby FX-VFX on 10/23/2015, 8:49 am

Well I was going to do it in 3D to have a variety of options but I can make this work just fine. I very much appreciate you taking time out of your day to do this for me, I should be able to add some additional assets to make this look really good!
FX-VFX

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects