Surprisingly simple cheats we could all learn from

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Surprisingly simple cheats we could all learn from

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/17/2015, 10:30 am

Too often we think, "Let's do it in post!" But doing it in camera is faster, cheaper, easier, and more realistic.
Don't believe me? Watch this:

Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Re: Surprisingly simple cheats we could all learn from

Postby Farmfield on 06/17/2015, 11:18 am

I love the older Film Riot shows where they used stuff like a melon filled with ground beef and ketchup for driving over a zombie head (or something like that) and just using a simple mask for the two plates - having a pretty good understanding on the VFX side, I'm just so much more impressed with practical effects nowadays. :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Faust on 06/17/2015, 6:04 pm

Farmfield wrote:I love the older Film Riot shows where they used stuff like a melon filled with ground beef and ketchup for driving over a zombie head (or something like that) and just using a simple mask for the two plates - having a pretty good understanding on the VFX side, I'm just so much more impressed with practical effects nowadays. :)

Me too. As much as I like VFX, when I see these movies and shows where every single shot is CG and they attempt to create everything digitally, I feel that they're actually doing the VFX artists a disservice by improperly utilizing their skills. Something like Interstellar (or Mad Max for a more recent example) used VFX exactly how it should be used: to enhance reality, not re-create it.
I have dual citizenship with the United States and Florida.

http://chariotdrive.com/
Faust

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Zeke_Faust
System Specs: Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB OS + 2TB cache
128GB DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU

Postby Farmfield on 06/18/2015, 5:08 am

Faust wrote:Me too. As much as I like VFX, when I see these movies and shows where every single shot is CG and they attempt to create everything digitally, I feel that they're actually doing the VFX artists a disservice by improperly utilizing their skills. Something like Interstellar (or Mad Max for a more recent example) used VFX exactly how it should be used: to enhance reality, not re-create it.

Absolutely agree. Way to much CG in movies nowadays and for me, messing about a lot with FX, I can even get annoyed that I recognize which solver is used for fire or explosions, so that is very distracting and instantly breaks the illusion. :(

And absolutely agree again - Mad Max as it was friggin awesome in this regard. :D
Farmfield

Postby Ben Wotton on 09/7/2015, 3:05 am

Nice find Michael!

Also agreed with Mad Max, although the film had more VFX shots than Transformers, (around 2000 I recall) the majority of them were used to service practically shot effects and elements and no one will be the wiser for it ;)
Ben Wotton - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5171540/
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby Farmfield on 09/7/2015, 4:14 pm

In Mad Max, the major part of the VFX work was comping practical effects compared to a movie like Transformers where - though Michael Bay sometimes does massive practical effects shots - an orgy in more or less full CG shots...

But I sometimes get blown away when I realize things I've seen and thought were Cg in reality was practical effects and awesome compositing - like some of these shots...

...or that this was a morph setup on a practical FX makeup...

...and I'm myself a friggin comper and I missed it, me who get annoyed when I recognize what fluid solver is used for an explosion in some random film... :D
Farmfield

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects