Creating your very own VFX?!

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Creating your very own VFX?!

Postby cheekybones on 04/20/2015, 2:31 pm

So this question bugged me now for a while and I do know most objects etc are created in a 3D program like Blender, C4D, Maya, 3dsMax etc. but in the end how do they get put into AE? I would really like to know this! And maybe create something of my own then to test stuff. Like what type of data does it have to be? Import into AE? As for example you create a let's say 3d model of a dinosaur in any 3d program and now instead of animating, texturing it in the 3d engine etc. you would like to import it into AE and just mask some stuff etc. How does that work? Any tutorials to this?
I know you can buy alot of FX stuff for AE but what Iam really interested in is to create these myself. I somehow couldn't find anything about it or Iam just too stupid to search for it idk...

Edit: Also I would love to know how to create smoke, fire - VFX for AE or some magic beams whatever anything in this category. I've seen something about it but it wasn't a tutorial and I really am having a rough time getting my head around it. Most of the time they somehow create normal planes then use alphas and just animate them then put them somehow into AE for what they need them and voila~ that's really what I would like to know how something like this works. I've found the tutorials on how to import stuff like models or even animations like debris just alot of pngs (if transparency needed) imported to AE.

Thanks in advance for any info.
cheekybones

Re: Creating your very own VFX?!

Postby JPT7505 on 04/23/2015, 6:15 pm

What is typically done after the cgi work is complete is that it gets rendered and done so with multiple passes. That means depth pass, shadow etc. Tgen brought into AE or nuke etc. however, Adobe CC does support native c4d as an option.
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby gregalan on 04/23/2015, 8:07 pm

Hi cheekybones, welcome. As JPT7505 says if you are on Adobe CC you have access to C4D which is a 3D modelling program which works will with After Effects. There are quite a few beginners tutorials available on their site (and other sites as well) - it's a good program, though as with all 3D programs, there's a lot to learn. As for your other requests; smoke, fire etc are often made with particle systems and if you Google After Effects tutorials on each subject there are a lot available. The other thing is to look through the tutorials on this site as things like light beams are created in some of them (place your cursor over the image and it will play and show you what he's covering):
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/201 ... fects.html
gregalan

Postby Farmfield on 04/24/2015, 2:30 pm

gregalan wrote: [...] smoke, fire etc are often made with particle systems [...]

In regard to doing it in comp, this is true, but not generally (and I know you meant in comp, Greg, just clarifying for the op).

For doing smoke and fire in 3D, also liquid effects, this is an area where Blender 3D is absolutely unbeatable for ease of learning and doing pretty good looking stuff - compared to the likes of FumeFX, PhoenixFD or Houdini PyroFX that is.

Though with that said, Blender does hit a wall pretty instantly trying to do more complex setups as you really have no access to the underlying data as you do in something like Houdini where I can shuffle volume data around, sample it and use to drive other stuff like particles, convert it, re-time it, well, whatever really... ;)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects