VFX Predictions for this years 87th Oscars

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

VFX Predictions for this years 87th Oscars

Postby AlekB on 12/13/2014, 3:43 pm

Well, the VFX contenders for the Oscars have been announced and this year I figured I'd make my predictions public so that I don't end up in a similar situation to last year, where I correctly predicted the nomination of The Lone Ranger, despite the negativity towards that movie. Ten contenders, five nominees, one winner. Anyways, here we go:

Predicted Winner:
Interstellar. There's quite a few reasons I suspect this one will win. I mean, they coded a render engine that could calculate gravitational pull on light beams for frick's sake.

Predicted Nominees:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (could be replaced?)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (for sure)
Interstellar (for sure)
Guardians of the Galaxy (pretty sure)
Godzilla (could be replaced?)

Other contenders:
X-Men: Days of Future Past (could replace Cap 2 or Godzilla in my mind)
Maleficent (nay)
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (again: nay)
The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies (might get a nom just for kicks, since it's the last one of a long series of VFX films from this franchise)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (why would they... why? They didn't really up the game on this film the way the first or third films did)

The Hobbit and X-Men might end up on the nominee list in lieu of Winter Soldier or Godzilla, but it's up in the air in my mind. The VFX Oscars are one of the few categories selected by peers, which makes them particularly fun. We shall see! Who do you think will win or get nominated? I'd love to hear reasons, theories, etc. :D
My Blender blog (with tutorials)
http://blenderforhumans.org
AlekB

Re: VFX Predictions for this years 87th Oscars

Postby Faust on 12/13/2014, 4:17 pm

There is no justice if Interstellar doesn't win this one. Any film whose effects simultaneously result in actual astrophysical discoveries deserves that credit.

Knowing Nolan's penchant for practical effects also adds a layer of what I call "facilitated induction of suspended disbelief", wherein I, even as a VFX artist, am not sure about what is real and what is CG because A) it's just so damn good and B) I have no way of knowing what was real, what was CG, what was miniature, etc. The result of this is perfect, seamless integration of the VFX into the film. Not one shot ever stood out to me as obviously fake.

The only thing that might hold back Interstellar is that there are actually not too many VFX shots in the film. 700, if I'm not mistaken, compared to say, Guardians of the Galaxy's 2,208 VFX shots.
I have dual citizenship with the United States and Florida.

http://chariotdrive.com/
Faust

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Zeke_Faust
System Specs: Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB OS + 2TB cache
128GB DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects