Make Rorschac's Mask...

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Make Rorschac's Mask...

Postby revelation on 03/6/2009, 8:25 pm

Hey, guys and gals. I just found a guy on Youtube that makes all the effects in major productions such as WATCHMEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDs5XOLW ... e=featured

Enjoy.
revelation

Re: Make Rorschac's Mask...

Postby OneEyedProd on 03/6/2009, 9:16 pm

IndyMogal make great DIY videos, but this guy doesn't work on major pictures. He teaches people how to make cheap knock-offs of effects, make-up, and props. I subscribe to them and they have great videos posted a couple times a week.
OneEyedProd

Postby MikeZ on 03/10/2009, 7:37 am

You can also make a mask with a green color fabric, then you can key it out and apply the graphic with After Effects and get a much better result, because for IndyMogul's method your actor needs to face the camera, or else the graphic get's messed up.
MikeZ

Postby theBeVi on 03/11/2009, 6:01 am

no, the fact is that he can't rotate..take indymogul just as an inspiration
I don't think projecting on green fabric is a great idea, you'll lose a lot of contrast and keying a projection must be difficult without a really good plugin
theBeVi

Postby Kencho on 03/13/2009, 8:18 am

Rorschach's mask is an impressive effect for some reasons, so I don't think it's actually easy to achieve. I'm all for using a "control mask" with several control points painted on it. Record the footage and use those control points to do some motion capture in a 3D program, using a Rorschach changing image as the texture, and compositing the 3D on the original footage in AE.
Kencho

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects